Privateer: I am an Explorer

Marc Perel

http://privateer.co.za/i-am-an-explorer/

The realisation that changes you is the one where you move from athlete to explorer. The movement that comes from this realisation will drive you into new places, new routes and new adventures, forever.

http://privateer.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/DSCN0211.jpg

Nice piece, Marc!

Reminded me of this great quote from Roam:

To roam is to search for something new.

On local trails in your home town.

Or across the world to a place you have never been.

On a mountain bike you can cover a great distance in a short period of time.

Or a short distance in a great period of time.

They say that the journey is more important than the destination.

In mountain biking there is no destination.

Just a bike, a rider, and a place to ride.

Good piece Marc. That's.s what I enjoy doing. I started out riding mtb in the 90s like that. Then got sucked into the racing thing. Now as I slow down, I'm enjoying exploring again. I've got 1000s of ha of forest on my doorstep and like nothing more than "lets see where this path goes". Now I'm linking up all my tracks to create 100km+ tracks.

On Saturday I rode for the whole day and only covered 65km, and had the time of my life.

Now I'm linking up all my tracks to create 100km+ tracks.

On Saturday I rode for the whole day and only covered 65km, and had the time of my life.

Sounds so cool. I went exploring on Saturday with two mates. Only one section of the route was planned, we ended up running for two hours to the top of Table mt. & back down.

The idea behind Privateer is based on these exact principles, it's about time we grew out of the singlemindedness of competition and rediscover the joys of going out without a strict plan, to just head out and have fun.

Side note: That said, there's also fun to be had in burrying yourself in a session of intervals.

One of the reasons I seek the steepest most feared climbs around is that they are desolate, empty for hours and you may find things that get lost in the crowded places.

Just last week I hooted with an owl, had to slow down for a duiker that was stopped in its tracks by my headlights, and let it escape, and take home procupine quills for my daughters amusement at where I'd been while she slept in the early hours of the morning... and we're in the city...

I've ridden that concrete road on Table mountain a few times, we rode along the dam wall and got caught up in the moment just looking around. Thanks for the pictures that capture it so well.

Sounds so cool. I went exploring on Saturday with two mates. Only one section of the route was planned, we ended up running for two hours to the top of Table mt. & back down.

The idea behind Privateer is based on these exact principles, it's about time we grew out of the singlemindedness of competition and rediscover the joys of going out without a strict plan, to just head out and have fun.

Side note: That said, there's also fun to be had in burrying yourself in a session of intervals.

The one fuels the other and vice versa

I've ridden that concrete road on Table mountain a few times, we rode along the dam wall and got caught up in the moment just looking around. Thanks for the pictures that capture it so well.

I rode my bike up those switchbacks once. Was pissing with rain, gale force winds, fog. So no one was around and I was all alone. Was a magical moment.