Historic first as Kaka is appointed Team Bonitas captain

Matt

Top South African-based professional road cycling team, Team Bonitas, has made an historic appointment by announcing Luthando Kaka as the new team captain. Kaka becomes the first black cyclist to captain any South African professional cycling team.

Click here to view the article

This will probably get me labelled a racist but who cares?

So he's black.

Well done.

Why do we need to celebrate someone's skin colour? He's as able bodies as every other colour of cyclist.

Now I realise that in the context of South Africas past this should be highlighted but if I were black I'd feel a bit wronged if people celebrated me being a cycling team captain after 200 whities had been appointed team captains. It's like second place.

Same with the Spud actor. So you're gay. Congratulations. I'm heterosexual and have been since birth. I didn't have to put an emotional youtube video together to let the world know.

That said I'm the first 25% irish south african over 6 foot tall with a shaved head and over 80kg with a Green Niner to race world xco champs in pmb. Goooooo me!

Poppycock.

So he's black.

Well done.

Why do we need to celebrate someone's skin colour? He's as able bodies as every other colour of cyclist.

Now I realise that in the context of South Africas past this should be highlighted but if I were black I'd feel a bit wronged if people celebrated me being a cycling team captain after 200 whities had been appointed team captains. It's like second place.

Same with the Spud actor. So you're gay. Congratulations. I'm heterosexual and have been since birth. I didn't have to put an emotional youtube video together to let the world know.

That said I'm the first 25% irish south african over 6 foot tall with a shaved head and over 80kg with a Green Niner to race world xco champs in pmb. Goooooo me!

Poppycock.

I concur! .....dont you realize that you reside in the most race obsessed country on the planet? A reason why it can never prosper!! Edited by Delgado

So he's black.

Well done.

Poppycock.

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/clapping/citizen_cane.gif

Let the captain shows us what he can do, respect is urned and not a given.

I do not mind giving any bloke a chance as long as he can deliver the goods and sustain the quality of the team. Good luck and "Go big or go home"

Being black typically means that he had to overcome many societal challenges which can be massive barriers to success. One big societal challenge is access to resources (poverty).

Being a black professional cyclist in a culture where soccer is the predominant sport of choice also makes his achievements special.

Well done.

Wonderful.

GO KAKA!!!

Being black typically means that he had to overcome many societal challenges which can be massive barriers to success.

Typically, but not always. I was in Std.5 in 1993, and back then already there were a few black kids in my primary school. He is 7 years younger than I am, which means in 1993 he started his schooling career just when the political winds shifted. I'm guessing he had a upbringing from young child to adult not too different to what the average white kid had. Granted that he went to school, obviously.

If he was living on the streets, got a job and rode a municipal bike to pick up litter and then started wining races on a borrowed Hanson road bike, that's a different story altogether.

I am really hoping this isn't just window dressing.

Edited by Azonic

Oh please! You're an ignorant idiot. You will never get it...

Erhmm... just for clarity sakes, whom are you addressing?

Being black typically means that he had to overcome many societal challenges which can be massive barriers to success. One big societal challenge is access to resources (poverty).

Being a black professional cyclist in a culture where soccer is the predominant sport of choice also makes his achievements special.

Well done.

Wonderful.

GO KAKA!!!

Many of todays top african atheletes dont come from poverty and the claim against soccer football would also apply to rugby with other demographic group. Brian Habana - KES - Siya Kolisi - Grey PE ect ect. In the sporting enviroment the opportunties were the same if not more in cases

If he was living on the streets, got a job and rode a municipal bike to pick up litter and then started wining races on a borrowed Hanson road bike, that's a different story altogether.

I am really hoping this isn't just window dressing.

Unti they find the PEDS ....

Many of todays top african atheletes dont come from poverty and the claim against soccer football would also apply to rugby with other demographic group. Brian Habana - KES - Siya Kolisi - Grey PE ect ect. In the sporting enviroment the opportunties were the same if not more in cases

The schools give them rugby bursaries

My old school Bosch does it

The schools give them rugby bursaries

My old school Bosch does it

Yeah thats my point - those bursaries to both high school and uni are reserved for previously disadvtanged and as such would give them access to good coaches, equipment ect

Im not saying they grew up in luxury but from a sporting opportunity perspective that had choices