Amashova 2013

fabs

I'm doing Berg & Bush descent that weekend so no Amashova for me this year. I would have to agree with the bunch, better than 94.7 but not nearly as good as Argus. It would be nice if the race organisers could fit a bit more of Durban in, it's a beautiful city and would be nice for out of towners.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Much better than 94.7, Argus is in a league of its own.

This will be my 22nd consecutive Amashova.

If you racing, its all about getting up Fox Hill with the bunch.

If you a social rider, take it easy up Fox Hill, its hard so early on in the race.

Back of Inchanga can be hard, but for me it after the bottom of Bothas hill that hurts.

Long drag up Cassier Road then the M13 to Hillcrest.

Pretty much home free from there, but normally have a slight head wind the last 25/30km.

Good luck and enjoy, its a very nice route.

22 Amasova's? Wow....did not even know that the race has been on for that long.....!! Excellent!!

22 Amasova's? Wow....did not even know that the race has been on for that long.....!! Excellent!!

Its been around about 25 or so years. Its the oldest classic in the country. I was just too young back in the early day they only allowed people over the age of 16 to ride.

Pity the organisers and the city of Durban cant grow the event.

IMO beats 94.7 hands down, yet 94.7 manage to get the city and its people behind the event, much like Cape Town does with the Argus.

• 5 weeks later...

after reading about all the climbing in this race, I need to get my act together on the bike.

Hard intervals coming up.

Hi All

Anybody know the amount of climbing in this race, and perhaps a garmin screenshot?

Last year my garmin recorded 1178m of climbing, with the profile below.

post-26017-0-04829600-1379576849_thumb.jpg

This will also be my first full distance Shova. I am also driving up to Jhb to ride my first 94.7 in November. Would have liked to make next year my first Argus as well, but budget does not allow, and entries are closed.

I also need to put in some more hill training. A group of buddies and I are planning on heading out and riding the Shova route before hand. It will be a 3am stealth mission though, to avoid traffic as far as possible.

Good luck to everyone riding.

Hello People.

I hope to do the Amashova race for the first time.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Is it as enjoyable as the Argus and the 94,7 ?

It is a fabulous race. My favourite in SA. Fantastic route with a nice mix of terrain. Just don't underestimate the climbing. Although it is from PMB and down to Durbs there is still a fair amount of climbing (about 1200m if I remember correctly). First big hill is a few km from the start. Push a bit up there but not too hard as you will suffer later. The middle bit is made up of short, sharp climbs and descents with one awesome twisty technical descent. Beware of one tighter corner though. They do have hay bales there so it is safe enough. There is a nasty climb on the alternative route which you should try be in a group for. I have ridden it solo and in a group and it is much fast in a group. Nearer the end there is a climb passed a petrol station and you cross over a robot. After that there is a descent where you will pick up quite a speed. At the bottom is a very sharp and narrow left turn. There are more than enough marshals there but just be aware of that and be careful. The last nasty uphill follows that on the highway. Off the highway and some fast flat wide roads with a few 90 degree corners to the finish. You will definitely enjoy it.

In 2010 I did the Up Ride which was the route in reverse. While it has about 500m more climbing than the main race route the reverse route is much more exciting and fun. In my opinion it would really make a fantastic race route. I wish they could alternate it like the Comrades.

Just received an email with my race number and starting time. I can already feel the butterflies doing the back stroke in my stomach

Just received an email with my race number and starting time. I can already feel the butterflies doing the back stroke in my stomach

Where are you starting SurferC?