Amashova 2013

fabs

Got taught a proper lesson in VA today. And then by VB.... Shova is not a downhill race.

Yeah there's more climbing than the Argus! In what group did you finish, because maybe we were together. Made a stupid mistake and missed the 10 guys that rode away on Fox Hill which we never saw again.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The race was hard and super fast. It was non stop racing in the Elites and it felt fast the entire way. Going up Fox hill and over the top was crazy hard.

It was quite dangerous from about Hillcrest with the slower cyclists from the 65km and 40km races. There were a few times when the bunch had to brake and avoid people in the road.

And coming into the end was a drag race along NMR Avenue, the guys have so much power!!!

The Elites were super fast, well done... just over 45km/h average!

It looks like the Organisers need to put a cut-off time on the 40 & 65km races. Effectively they should all be off the road by 8:30, that gives them 3 hrs from a 5:30 start otherwise, one day, there is going to be a nasty accident. We also passed a few cyclists who were in the middle of the road and for them it must be quite frightening with the bunch going left and right of them at speeds above 40kph.

The Elites were super fast, well done... just over 45km/h average!

Thanks, I got 103km for the race with an average of 44.5km/h :w00t:

It was an amazing race, besides a few marshalling inconsitencies and a marshal motorbike coming straight towards us in our racing line on the highway :eek: It was still an amazing race and a fantastic route. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and will definitely support this race again.

It was nice to meet you and thanks for the lift.

Wow, what a race! My first Amashova, but definitely not my last! Started from B, got dropped on Fox Hill, but formed a nice group and managed to get in under 3 hours. This really is not an easy race, but the scenery more than makes up for it.

Question?

I see the front guys time was better than last year. I take it they missed the wind that the guys like myself experienced, especially from fields hill to finish.

Question?

I see the front guys time was better than last year. I take it they missed the wind that the guys like myself experienced, especially from fields hill to finish.

unlikely, the elements tend to affect the best prepared (pros) the least.

Question?

Yes, the wind does tend to get up more there as the morning progresses, so its easier, earlier.

Having said that, they prolly still would have beaten you B)

Question?

There was wind the entire way. I do agree that the wind got stronger during the day. But the guys were attacking a lot off the front, which kept the speeds nice and high!

What an AWESOME day, i hate the heat, so appreciated the cooler weather....got a bit much with the wind as well.

Had an enjoyable ride with the mrs, she started struggling with the hills VERY early on, i don't think anything can prepare you for this ride the first time....

All in all a good day and we finished in 4:34ish from N group....thanks to the Durban community for the organisation, please try and secure Coca Cola for the finish....

Brilliant ... My first one too, Had 2 punctures in the first 6kms so chasing my bunch Up Those hills killed my legs... ended up limping the last 50 ks. Thanks to the guys along the way for working with me and especially to the ladies that towed me(hands over eyes)... 3h54 time

Coca Cola... yes please ... I was drained at the end ... tongue on the floor

It was an amazing race, besides a few marshalling inconsitencies and a marshal motorbike coming straight towards us in our racing line on the highway :eek: It was still an amazing race and a fantastic route. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and will definitely support this race again.

I'm with you on this. I have no idea how I managed to miss the marshal but unfortunately the poor girl riding on my left shoulder was not so lucky! She clipped my left pedal and went off into the bushes. I hope she is alright. What was the moron thinking?