MotoGP

SeaBee

25 minutes ago, forkie said:

i just read that Marc's contact with BB caused BBs airbag to deploy, slowing him down for the next 5 laps or so... 

I also read that, think a suit is good for 2 deployments. That must have been quite a whack though then.

Also read a number of riders wanted the race cancelled given the news of Jason's passing.

Question is, if it was a MotoGP rider would it have been handled differently? Was the announcement delayed a bit to allow the Moto3 race to start?

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone knows who's airbags ixon leathers use ? I find it weird that such contact triggers the airbag, this shouldn't happen...

If the austrian race wasn't cancelled after the crash that happened there, I don't really see why this race would have been cancelled. The corner where the crash happened in spielberg is very very dangerous and we should never have a layout where there is a possibility of a bike flying accross the track (meaning most chicanes should go), but in Jason's case I think it's pure bad luck, it also could have happened to Canet in Portimao last year. 

Anyways, it always blows my mind to see these guys go back out after such a tragedy happened. A few years ago we had a guy who died on track at Killarney, I remember it took me a couple weeks to get over it and go back out... Luckily onces you're on track and the adrenaline kicks in you forget about the risks, it's probably for the best that they go right back out not having a minute to think too much about it

On 5/31/2021 at 9:44 AM, Jbr said:

Anyone knows who's airbags ixon leathers use ? I find it weird that such contact triggers the airbag, this shouldn't happen...

If the austrian race wasn't cancelled after the crash that happened there, I don't really see why this race would have been cancelled. The corner where the crash happened in spielberg is very very dangerous and we should never have a layout where there is a possibility of a bike flying accross the track (meaning most chicanes should go), but in Jason's case I think it's pure bad luck, it also could have happened to Canet in Portimao last year. 

Anyways, it always blows my mind to see these guys go back out after such a tragedy happened. A few years ago we had a guy who died on track at Killarney, I remember it took me a couple weeks to get over it and go back out... Luckily onces you're on track and the adrenaline kicks in you forget about the risks, it's probably for the best that they go right back out not having a minute to think too much about it

Nobody died in Austria though. The track isn't being blamed at all, simply a racing incident.
It is more about having that news broken and then expected to race, its heavy regardless of it being "their job".

If there is no proven risk for the riders I don't see why they would cancel the race. But you are right, I do think if it happened in the main class maybe it would've been handled different. Same in Formula 1.

When a moto2 or moto3 or F2 rider/driver passes it's not the same as a motoGP/Formula1 rider/driver, probably doesn't get the same exposure for the show. Honestly I don't know, I don't think it should affect if we are racing or not regardless of the class. As long as there is no risk for the riders. Otherwise where do you put the line ? Do you cancel just this race weekend ? The next ? The whole season ? I think the second your start being scared you should probably not be a profesionnal racer.

16 hours ago, Jbr said:

If there is no proven risk for the riders I don't see why they would cancel the race. But you are right, I do think if it happened in the main class maybe it would've been handled different. Same in Formula 1.

When a moto2 or moto3 or F2 rider/driver passes it's not the same as a motoGP/Formula1 rider/driver, probably doesn't get the same exposure for the show. Honestly I don't know, I don't think it should affect if we are racing or not regardless of the class. As long as there is no risk for the riders. Otherwise where do you put the line ? Do you cancel just this race weekend ? The next ? The whole season ? I think the second your start being scared you should probably not be a profesionnal racer.

I don't think it is about being scared, they know the risks and accept them.
They lost a member of the paddock, someone they all knew and some knew him very well. Like Jack Miller who was helping him in MotoX training, like Danilo Pettrucci who would have been sharing hospitality with Jason as they were all under the KTM umbrella.

I do feel a few riders were "forced" to race due to team pressure, contracts, etc......

FYI, Bagnaia did not want to race and fell on the same corner as the fatal crash.

On 5/31/2021 at 8:44 AM, Jbr said:

I remembering being at Kyalami in 1999 for WSBK when Brett died, it barely affected the days proceedings.

1 hour ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

I don't think it is about being scared, they know the risks and accept them.
They lost a member of the paddock, someone they all knew and some knew him very well. Like Jack Miller who was helping him in MotoX training, like Danilo Pettrucci who would have been sharing hospitality with Jason as they were all under the KTM umbrella.

I do feel a few riders were "forced" to race due to team pressure, contracts, etc......

FYI, Bagnaia did not want to race and fell on the same corner as the fatal crash.

You're right, it's easy to forget that they are humans and there are friends among the paddock, but they are also professionnals and a lot is at stake every weekend. I guess the show must go on...

Edited by Jbr

So the 33 has extended his deal with KTM and Remy Gardner has signed for the KTM satellite team. They are building a rather formidable lineup IMO.

I really like the way KTM staff their teams. You can see it in the Moto X teams. Cairoli has been a KTM guy and with his same team since 2010. Same with Herlings and now Jorge Prado.

In the US it seems more of a hired gun scenario but I think you'll see Cooper Web in orange till the end of his career And Marv has been on a multi year KTM deal. Aaron Plesinger is rumored to be moving to KTM next year. I think if he does he'll stay put. Incidentally the KTM team manager is South African Ian Harrison. And Aldon Baker is the contracted KTM coach. Also a Saffer.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

yoh. FP1... 1 second separating top 17 riders

and Rins broke his arm falling off his bicycle. 

On 6/2/2021 at 10:55 AM, Patchelicious said:

I remembering being at Kyalami in 1999 for WSBK when Brett died, it barely affected the days proceedings.

I lost one of my best mates that day. I remember talking to him after qualifying, he was confident and felt some changes for race day were going to give him a good shot at a good race. He had just come back from testing Kenny Roberts GP bikes overseas and had impressed with times. He was so excited for that year ahead. 

Remains one of the darkest days in my life. 

BB would have had a 4 if Zarco didn’t come under him. I know Zarco was going for his own time but it still sucked. I’m not a fan of the 44 bike but it was nice how he showed his team mate up in the tow line.

13 hours ago, l4y3rcake said:

BB would have had a 4 if Zarco didn’t come under him. I know Zarco was going for his own time but it still sucked. I’m not a fan of the 44 bike but it was nice how he showed his team mate up in the tow line.

I think I see why Zarco picks up a penalty now and then - amongst nutters he is one of the nuttier.

Moto3 is stupendously crazy racing.

They must have been 10 abreast going into turn 1 on the final lap. Darryn went from 1st to 8th, Acosta 2nd to 13th! 

Madness