brake pad surface not fully used

duanelr

when i checked my brake pads this weekend i discovered that the surface is not completely covered by the rotor. there is a small sliver that is not worn down (see attached photo). so this means i need to move the whole calliper closer to the wheel, but how do i do this? is my current brake adapter and or bolt stack wrong? im running 180mm rotors and bought the adapter at my LBS and they assured me it is the right one? (or is it :ph34r: )

Please help :thumbup:

post-14753-0-97932400-1376901123_thumb.jpg

post-14753-0-23973400-1376901141_thumb.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thing is that 'washer' is a hollowed out swivel little part that fits into the silver part, which helps align the calliper, and you can't have one without the other....

Looks like you have an extra washer, but i'm no expert.

yeah there are 2 spacers in there, 1 is rather fat compared to its partner, try removing the smaller one and check that the disk does not touch anything and spins freely, if it does you are good, if it does and its rubbing you will need to find a spacer that is not as thick as the one you currently have but has enough to stop the disc binding on its outermost point.

hope that makes sense?

I think those are the two pieces that make sure for straight alignment not washers. You have to just work it out and make it work for you. I think your issue is quite common. You just have to work it out. There is no rule book fix as far as I know.

thing is that 'washer' is a hollowed out swivel little part that fits into the silver part, which helps align the calliper, and you can't have one without the other....

This is correct. See my other post.

of coarse you can, you just need to align the caliper more precisely. you may need to flip the bigger spacer over so as to stop the edge of the caliper from resting in the groove but its completely doable.

The spacer on the far right (or the lower spacer, closest to the adapter) is too thick. These do come in various thicknesses so that you can run the same adapter for 2 different but similar sized rotors (like a 180mm & 185mm). So you can swap out that spacer for a thinner one.

Where are the spacers that normally run above the bolt? Should be a similar set up to what is below the caliper.

I'd say it makes no noticeable difference- let sleeping dogs lie.

I would say fix it - the way it is at the moment, you will not be able to easily see pad wear (because it is hidden) from the top - and that's a potential health hazard.

Depending on the age of those callipers - the newer ones are not designed for alignment washers underneath - between calliper and post, so they might be able to be removed (and you can put them on the top if bolt length is an issue)

its spaced too high. The recent avid adapters have made the use of the CPS cup and cone + washers unnecessary,so your caliper will bolt straight into the adapter. that is a shimano adapter to boot and i'm not sure if the shimano adapter still requires spacers and whatnot for its calipers.

aaah okay thanks guys... i wanted to just 'boer maak i plan' but these being my brakes i was a little hesitant! and rex because of this i'm not getting 100% stopping power plus i tend to wobble my rotors under hard breaking... now i know why...

you guys think i can just sand that little lip down with sanding paper?

Yes you can if you are careful you keep the pad flat - this means removing the ridge first, and then cleaning the full pad surface.

Put some 400 grit paper on a piece of glass and have a go - stuff sands pretty easily, so don't apply a huge amount of force.

aaah okay thanks guys... i wanted to just 'boer maak i plan' but these being my brakes i was a little hesitant! and rex because of this i'm not getting 100% stopping power plus i tend to wobble my rotors under hard breaking... now i know why...

i would say yes but you are going to have to use something more fierce than sand paper, especially if they are sinterd pads. but i am no expert.

Avids use 185mm rotors, all other brands use 180mm, which is where your unused bit of pad comes from. You won't get a 180mm Avid adaptor, so you'll need to remove 2.5mm of spacer from the stack or replace your rotor.

Removing spacers is more fun than it looks - the spherical washers are there for alignment and work in sets,