Power Tools

LOOK695

Why?

my dad bought one of those small sets, what a load of rubbish, the drill worked not even 10 minutes....NAAAH, i'LL RATHER pay 3 times as much. Yes, Makro have a good variety of tools, bought a Bosch blue drilll there, its solid. Yaa, that was R800.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those Makita 18v Lithium Iron range are excellent tools, I have one, have my beady eye on a few more like that small angele Grinder and Jig Saw. Pricey but good, real works horses.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/dg/makita-18v-12078.jpg

We use the 18v Makita range extensively in our plant, and the Artisans are very happy with the tools. We have 6 impact driver drills, 2 rotary hammer drills, 6 angle grinders , 6 lights, 2 blowers, 1 jigsaw and 1 circular saw. And about 40 batteries! Very reliable, no failures (except a few batteries) in 6 years.

Edited by Brian Fantana

Sorry should be Lithium-Ion not Iron duh :o

For Masonry you get those drills that take SDS bits, they are the business. I have a Bosch one, you have to use it carefully its a real destroyer.

As for breaking Gedore Chrome Vanadium spanners, yet to happen to me, and I have been through a few sets, I think the chance they will get stolen is higher. but I guess with some additional leverage that might be possible.

Would be well miffed if it was a Snap-On, those are real expensive!Look good though.

You get a plethora of other Chrome Vanadium brands (or no name brands) that look decent enough at Makro and elsewhere, I keep a set in my car, work well enough when you need them.

Sorry should be Lithium-Ion not Iron duh :o

For Masonry you get those drills that take SDS bits, they are the business. I have a Bosch one, you have to use it carefully its a real destroyer.

As for breaking Gedore Chrome Vanadium spanners, yet to happen to me, and I have been through a few sets, I think the chance they will get stolen is higher. but I guess with some additional leverage that might be possible.

Would be well miffed if it was a Snap-On, those are real expensive!Look good though.

You get a plethora of other Chrome Vanadium brands (or no name brands) that look decent enough at Makro and elsewhere, I keep a set in my car, work well enough when you need them.

Yah, thats true, but not all Chrome Vanadium tools are good unfortunately, sometimes a no name manufacturer will just add the words even though the process they use is flawed, as its a lot to do with the exact quantity of the elements chrome and vanadium added to the steel that gives the tool its strength.

That been said well known branded Chrome Vanadium tools are generally excellent.

When I was an appy my journeyman would only use tools which had been "Drop Forged" and would blixem me if I dared use any other tool, ......I learnt well and still look today for the words "Drop Forged" on all hand tools I buy,.... I know, I know, times have progressed and processes changed, but old habits die hard. :D

................I know, I know, times have progressed and processes changed, but old habits die hard. :D

This is exactly why I appreciate the comments made here.

Most of my power-tools (mostly Bosch) are 15 -20 years old and in the last year or so I have had to replace a couple that gave up the ghost. I tend to buy the brands I know, but things have changed in the meantime and there may be better options now.

The one old workhorse I would like to replace is a terrible 20 plus year old Black & Decker drill, but it simply refuses to break down and the ghost of my Scottish grandmother prevents me from spending money on a new one while the old one is still "perfectly fine". I wish someone would give me a decent drill for Christmas.

I've also bought a cheapie black & decker cordless drill that has worked like a dog and continues to service me well.

My dad bought me a Makita router and orbital sander 16 years ago and they are still going strong.

Yah, thats true, but not all Chrome Vanadium tools are good unfortunately, sometimes a no name manufacturer will just add the words even though the process they use is flawed, as its a lot to do with the exact quantity of the elements chrome and vanadium added to the steel that gives the tool its strength.

That been said well known branded Chrome Vanadium tools are generally excellent.

Yup who knows what the metallurgy exactly is of those Chinese products but I think most are okay. Personally I have stuck with Gedore for my workshop, but that's become a bit of a premium brand if you compare prices. For the average DIY'er, I don't know if its worth it. I think all decent spanners are drop forged, don't think Gedore are any better made, they are bit rough, but certainly tough!

Forging keeps the grain of the metal for strength in a certain direction. Like Cannondale do with the lower OPI in the lefty fork.

I got some old tools that do the job, just today I was using my Millers Falls soldering gun but technology evolves .... like those Makita 18v tools, the toughness, portability, power and longevity is unprecedented.

This is exactly why I appreciate the comments made here.

Most of my power-tools (mostly Bosch) are 15 -20 years old and in the last year or so I have had to replace a couple that gave up the ghost. I tend to buy the brands I know, but things have changed in the meantime and there may be better options now.

The one old workhorse I would like to replace is a terrible 20 plus year old Black & Decker drill, but it simply refuses to break down and the ghost of my Scottish grandmother prevents me from spending money on a new one while the old one is still "perfectly fine". I wish someone would give me a decent drill for Christmas.

Yeah, the more things change the more they stay the same if you ask me. Drop forged tools are still excellent quality and although they are hard to find now, I grab them whenever I do.

B&D, much like Stanley I think was a different company 20 years ago, I also have an old B&D jig saw in my cupboard, it must be 20 years old, as heavy as hell, no real finesse and I struggle to even find blades for it these days, but the darn thing just refuses to pack up. No matter what I throw at it, it just marches on, and as I cant find it in my heart to retire a faithful old friend like this I will just continue to use it until it gives up.

Even though I am itching to buy the new Makita with an Orbital blade, LED cutting lines and an ergonomic grip............I just cant. :blush:

my dad bought one of those small sets, what a load of rubbish, the drill worked not even 10 minutes....NAAAH, i'LL RATHER pay 3 times as much. Yes, Makro have a good variety of tools, bought a Bosch blue drilll there, its solid. Yaa, that was R800.

I spoilt myself with an end-of-line blue Bosch 14V cordless drill with hammer functionality. Best drill I've ever owned and love it. Came with a spare battery which really helps. Paid R1200 for it 12 months ago, replacement model is R2400+ but I would still pay that.

I think I am going to report this thread and ask that it be deleted. Jeepers, all these nice tools being mentioned and I cannot justify buying them, because I want, but don't need :cursing: and cannot afford them now

I've also bought a cheapie black & decker cordless drill that has worked like a dog and continues to service me well.

My Dad and I were talking about power tools over the weekend and how B&D is by far the best of the cheap. I ended up buying a B&D 900W angle grinder from Builders W yesterday for R230, my other option was the new budget line from Ryobi for R225 and that was only 600W.

Used the grinder last night and build quality is impressive. Feels solid unlike the other budget brands.

I last used an angle grinder 15 years ago when I was working for a steel furniture company for a year and this grinder feels as rock solid as any of the Makita or Bosch we used back then. Its 100% perfect for home use.

My tool choices

Hilti impact drill

Metaba drills and jig saws

Festool circular saws

Metaba router

Estwing hammers

Marpels wood chisels

De Walt cut off saws

Stanley hand planer-nothing beats working with a hand planer

Ryobi drill press, yes, Ryobi on this

Gedore spanners, nothing comes close

Snap-on screw drivers and pliers

Thanks for the list. I always wanted to know which hand planer to go for. :thumbup:

Edited by YUMEYA

www.adendorff.co.za :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

to answer the OP's request.

I love getting their catalogue in my post box. Was perving at those tools this weekend.