Ticking noise

Rapunzel

I've just reassembled my carbon hardtail after a respray and it's now making a ticking noise (once or twice per pedal revolution). It only does this under load and it's not the saddle or seatpost as it does it when I'm out of the saddle as well. I've checked the bb and crank bolt (Sram X7) to make sure they're tight and greased all threads before assembling.

What else could it be?

Check your chain, maybe its got a stiff link and its clicking as it goes thru the jockey or cassette...especialy if you used the shimano drive pin type connetion

I would suggest checking your pedals. That sorted out my ticking noice. Fit a old or other pair and go for a ride.

:thumbup: what he said

I've just reassembled my carbon hardtail after a respray and it's now making a ticking noise (once or twice per pedal revolution). It only does this under load and it's not the saddle or seatpost as it does it when I'm out of the saddle as well. I've checked the bb and crank bolt (Sram X7) to make sure they're tight and greased all threads before assembling.

What else could it be?

Service/ check your headset. I'm willing to bet money on this. Let us know that it worked.

Back quick release, make sure its tight and maybe put some grease or copperslip (if you have) in there as well.

Edited by koukie

Headset,

stem torque (on steerer and handlebar)

chainring bolts grease and torque

check BB (again)

QR front and rear

Check that your cables move freely and not "stuck" somewhere on the newly painted frame

Pedals

Dropout grease and torque

That is about all of it, I think...

Let us know where / what the problem was.

You guys are awesome :thumbup: Went through the first few suggestions and it appears that the pedals are the culprit. Will put the bike through it's paces before the day is out to make sure.

You may think its your pedals. But it is your headset...

i hate that feeling and its disturbs the peace untill its sorted not just on the trail but in the house at work flippen everywhere untill the bike is quiet like it should be :thumbup:

When the dreaded tick starts, I run to my bike mechanic. He somehow finds it and terminates it.