Fender Fever!

Josh0

With Spring approaching, I am starting to prepare myself and my gear for some muddy rides. I am from Bloemfontein though and we might never have rain ever again, but none the less I am looking forward to some fun in the wet!

A month or two ago I posted in Rant n Rave about a rear fender which I designed and then 3D printed for my 2012 Stumpjumper FSR. Back then it was still just virgin Nylon white, since then I have painted it. Quite a mission to paint these printed materials though, but I think it looks pretty good.

This fender is designed to protect my FSR links from being bombarded with crud, I do not really mind getting some spray on my back. Thats part of the experience, is it not?

Would you ride with fenders? If you would, would you rather protect your bike or your clothes?

post-47285-0-99398200-1377502738_thumb.jpgpost-47285-0-62785400-1377503024_thumb.jpg

Edited by Josh_FSR

Nicely done!

Was going to do something like this to protect my front derailleur, but then I removed the derailleur

Have a look at the guys who do AR or experienced Freedom Challenge riders. There the bike is all about function over form. Almost everyone (who has gears) sports some sort of fender/mud guard protecting the FD.

One of the reasons xc riders shed their FD was not only weight but also because in the cold (especially in Europe but it happens during Freedom/winter in the mountains here too) the fine mud jumps into the mech and freezes so you cant shift.

Same as AR. Strips of thin plastic are fitted on the downtube protecting the FD from tyre shed.

The 3d Moulding is awesome! Nice job. It is super practical and works really well if necessary.

So I suppose bike over clothes.... But then Im not a cyclist, I ride bikes

Flowta, remove the rear derailleur too... Go on.... do it

Have a look at the guys who do AR or experienced Freedom Challenge riders. There the bike is all about function over form. Almost everyone (who has gears) sports some sort of fender/mud guard protecting the FD.

One of the reasons xc riders shed their FD was not only weight but also because in the cold (especially in Europe but it happens during Freedom/winter in the mountains here too) the fine mud jumps into the mech and freezes so you cant shift.

Same as AR. Strips of thin plastic are fitted on the downtube protecting the FD from tyre shed.

The 3d Moulding is awesome! Nice job. It is super practical and works really well if necessary.

Very interesting, I can imagine that those guys have problems with the crud freezing in the mechs. Thanks for the compliments(you too Flowta).

Oh yes! Bike always over clothes! :thumbup:

What chain guide are you running ?

Hi Puncher

That would be the standard Specialized Dangler guide that came with the bike.

Already done it, running 1 x 10 on the Sanction

Already done it, running 1 x 10 on the Sanction

ooops, Misread your post.

But yes, have set up the On-one 456 as a rigid SS

Guest Omega Man

...damn, and there I was thinking a thread about guitars. EISH

I read Pondo Fever. It's what happens when you spend a lot of time in the Kei and smoke a lot of Zo...... Nevermind.

Edited by Omega Man

bike over clothes. all the time.

I have a home made rip off of the Momsen mudguard which is a rip off of the marsh guard which was ripped off from the mucky nuts guards on the front. And I want to do something similar for the back as well.

But now I mostly just ride my SS in the mud.

Very cool - when do you start selling these to fellow hubbers? :ph34r:

Hi Martin

I would love to sell these to fellow hubbers! Thing is this version will only fit on Specialized FSR suspension. I would like to design and develop a range of rear fenders, but I would need donor bikes to reverse engineer.

What bike do you ride?

bike over clothes. all the time.

I have a home made rip off of the Momsen mudguard which is a rip off of the marsh guard which was ripped off from the mucky nuts guards on the front. And I want to do something similar for the back as well.

But now I mostly just ride my SS in the mud.

Its always a bonus if you can be innovative and be able to create things from scratch. Well done! Let me know when you get the need for a rear fender, maybe I can help.

Hi Martin

I would love to sell these to fellow hubbers! Thing is this version will only fit on Specialized FSR suspension. I would like to design and develop a range of rear fenders, but I would need donor bikes to reverse engineer.

What bike do you ride?

Hi,

I have a Scott Spark - pity you so far away, would have gladly donated my bike for a fitting!

Hi,

I have a Scott Spark - pity you so far away, would have gladly donated my bike for a fitting!

Hi Martin

I would like to design a few versions, that could fit various brands. I will look around for someone that is willing to lend me a Spark.

Anyone in Bloem with a Spark? Can I borrow it for a few minutes? :D