NO FAKES! Our zero-tolerance policy on counterfeit items

Matt

Hi Hubbers,

Over the last few years, there has been a surge in the sale of fake cycling products online. It's something we've quietly been stamping out as fake items in the Classifieds are spotted or reported.

In light of recent discussion on the issue and a noted increase in the presence of fakes we're taking a harder line on the issue in an effort to discourage the advertisement of fake items on our platform and to raise awareness among would-be buyers.

We recently instituted a zero-tolerance policy against anyone advertising counterfeit items. Regardless of whether this is disclosed in the advert or not.

Bottom line: If it's a fake it's not welcome on Bike Hub Classifieds.

Anyone posting a fake item whether this is disclosed or not will have their account permanently suspended and their details will be handed over to the relevant local agencies.

What is regarded as a fake?

A fake or counterfeit product is any product which illegally bears a brand name / registered trademark. In other words, if the product bears a registered trademark and was not produced by- or on behalf of the original manufacturer it is counterfeit.

In cycling terms, common fakes can include but are not limited to bicycle frames, wheels, components, clothing, eyewear.

What about replicas?

Please note the distinction between a "fake" and a "replica" product:

- A replica is a licensed, legal product and most often produced by the same manufacturer or a licenced manufacturer. Typically you'll find team edition bikes and team clothing is referred to as a "replica".

- A fake is an unlicensed copy and is ILLEGAL

The term "replica" is often incorrectly used to describe clothing which is actually counterfeit. Price is usually a good indicator. If it's well below standard retail prices of the real thing it's likely a fake.

What about blank/custom branded carbon frames, wheels and components?

There are many unbranded and custom branded products available, many of which are perfectly legal so-called "open mold" frames. As a broad guideline, if it does not illegally bear a registered trademark or mimic a particular frame design it is unlikely to be regarded as a fake. I.e. If it is trying to be something it is not then your alarm bells should go off.

We've got some pretty eagle-eyed members who spot fakes a mile off and usually the price is a dead give away.

If you spot or suspect a fake please hit the report button so that we can investigate and take action if need be.

If you have any questions comments or suggestions on the issue please feel free to get in touch with me: matt at bikehub.co.za

Thanks,
Matt Eagar
Founder - Bike Hub

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicely said, Just to make 100% sure - no advertising of fake goods but we can still discuss the issue?

This policy applies to the sale of fake items in the Classifieds.

With regards to discussion around fakes of course this can be still be discussed, however keep in mind that these fakes are illegal and as per our Website Terms and Conditions:

You agree, through your use of The Hub SA, that you will not post any material or use the Website for any purpose which is:

- Illegal and/or encouraging/promoting illegal activities;

Grey area. Got to ban any and all stickers then as well. Because in a broad sense having any sticker on your bike of a product that isn't ON your bike, constitutes a fake?

"A fake or counterfeit product is any product which illegally bears a brand name / registered trademark. In other words if the product bears a registered trademark and was not produced by- or on behalf of the original manufacturer it is counterfeit."

So I can't have a Rock Shox sticker on my bike if I'm using a Fox?

Grey area. Got to ban any and all stickers then as well. Because in a broad sense having any sticker on your bike of a product that isn't ON your bike, constitutes a fake?

"A fake or counterfeit product is any product which illegally bears a brand name / registered trademark. In other words if the product bears a registered trademark and was not produced by- or on behalf of the original manufacturer it is counterfeit."

Not quite the same, you are not trying to sell the bike/shock stating its a Rock Shox when its not.

Not quite the same, you are not trying to sell the bike/shock stating its a Rock Shox when its not.

Spot on, the fake issue is about trying to pass something off as something it is not.

A secondary brand sticker placed on a bike by the end user does not constitute a fake.

If you were to slap a Trek sticker / paint job on a generic frame in a manner which makes it look like a Trek product this would be viewed as a fake, but a Rock Shox sticker on the same frame does not have the same effect.

Not really. The aim is to prevent someone piggy backing off a brand name to make sales. You would have bought a bona fide Rock Shox sticker from the manufacturer (Rock Shox) which means you can stick it wherever you like because you also purchased the article to which it is being affixed - in your case you bought the shock from the manufacturer Fox (or your bike brand did).

If you bought a Rock Shox sticker from your mate who was making them you have a problem, has nothing to do with where you stick it because both Rock Shox (via the sticker sale) and Fox (via the shock sale) got their "deserved" cash.

Edited by Wet Ears

Not really. The aim is to prevent someone piggy backing off a brand name to make sales. You would have bought a bona fide Rock Shox sticker from the manufacturer (Rock Shox) which means you can stick it wherever you like because you also purchased the article to which itis being stuck - in your case you bought the shock from the manufacturer Fox (or your bike brand did).

If you bought a Rock Shox sticker from your mate who was making them you have a problem, has nothing to do with where you stick it because both Rock Shox (via the sticker sale) and Fox (via the shock sale) got their "deserved" cash.

So you telling me that tyerone is fncked?

What's the position on counterfeit powerbalance bands? The ones with the low power holograms are clearly not the real thing.

Mine works the same so I am not bothered

On the Hub he is it would appear

So he made me some replacement decals for my fox. I decided to use him because fox charge a ridiculous amount for their decals.

Does this mean I cannot sell my bike on the hub anymore?