94.7 Cycle Challenge 2013

StevieL

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard number collection is at the Coca Cola Dome this year. Pity, I quite liked the SCC, as it was just up the road from my offices... Oh well, I guess change is good. Let's hope the expo improves from last year.

Wonder why the change... IMO that makes it more difficult for probably 80% of us. Plus no Gautrain option :thumbdown:

6000 entries for MTB race?? :eek:

the first year wasnt it limited to like 1000 or not even??? they could not handle that amount,,all the back markers were moaning at half way they didnt have water, the only had watered down powerade

Wonder why the change... IMO that makes it more difficult for probably 80% of us. Plus no Gautrain option :thumbdown:

Agreed. Gautrain was very usefull for this.

A gentle reminder that Joburg is not flat!

What is the route like in comparison to the Argus? Being shorter, it should be comparably easier to squeeze a sub-3 correct? Or does the non-flatness you refer to make up for it?

Think my 12th

Back with the COW's for another year and 2 laps once again.

Race the 1st, have a total jol the 2nd :thumbup:

Whats the rule on 2 laps? Ideally I'd love to ride a sub3 in my seeding group and then join the back end and ride with some friends who are aiming for a 5.5hrs time.

Did my entry this morning... I really really dont like the race but have entered again...

My 1st one was emotionally horrid. Was in the starting block when my mom called to say that my gran had died and Dad wouldnt be alongside the road to support of fetch me as he was flying to Cape Town. That was 7 years ago. Have missed 2 so this will be number 5 for me. And as always, I will be thinking of my gran on the day.

Only reason I do this race is for my family. I have noticed that the years I dont do it, Dad gets emotional so my doing the race has become part of our routine and his distraction. He drops me off then goes home to garden. He then fetches me (after a beer or 3) and I go for lunch with my folks. My bro and his wifey are always excluded from these events.

The knobblies is only one issue - the other is the upright sitting position, especially on the highway if the wind gets up. Makes it more of a challenge. I would still not take a camelback because there are LOTS of tables.

Last year i did it with my MTB and slicks, and i must say, my back and shoulders and arse has never been this sore (and i raced only 4hrs, done that time and longer often in normal MTB races) .The main reason (imho) was the sitting position and how a big part of this race you're flying down long stretches of downhill road and kinda sitting in that "crouching tiger" position to get less air resistance going. I swear like 40km+ of this race was me in that position and then trying to go halfway up the next hill with the momentum. So at about 85km, when we were discovering how hilly the N14 really is , my lower back just stopped working, was a very painful last 10km and i wasn't even that tired in terms of fitness.

So i suppose you can just remain upright and pedal normally down all those roads and it should be ok, but when these roadies come flying past you at 60km/h and "freeing" up the next hill, it kinda gets difficult not to see the problem ;)

Edited by silvertemplar

What is the route like in comparison to the Argus? Being shorter, it should be comparably easier to squeeze a sub-3 correct? Or does the non-flatness you refer to make up for it? - YES

Whats the rule on 2 laps? Ideally I'd love to ride a sub3 in my seeding group and then join the back end and ride with some friends who are aiming for a 5.5hrs time.

These guys are not full of bull like the Argus crowd. As long as you in the start for the second lap when the last group leaves you are fine. I either do a second lap or if I want to catch up to someone I will take a short cut to the halfway mark and meet them there. Will still be doing about 160 km for the day.

Hey guys,

If you haven't heard about us before, Southern Fixies is a small online-based shop and fixie-building company in the Southern Suburbs of Cape Town. We want to try and make a difference for kids less fortunate and have signed up to cycle the 94.7 Momentum Challenge for Qhubeka. As we're sure you've heard, Qhubeka does so much for the children in our underprivileged communities by raising funds to give them bicycles, teach them to service them, and in doing this, give them an opportunity to get to school and learn for a better future. We are raising funds to donate three bicycles to children who need them desperately. Visit our blog post to read more about this cause and what we would like to achieve: http://goo.gl/tsuGeU.

We would like to appeal to you to sponsor us to ride the 94.7 Cycle Challenge - ALL proceeds will go to the Qhubeka Foundation. If you are willing to give towards this worthy cause, you can donate any amount on our GivenGain page here: http://goo.gl/HOmnvQ, there is no amount too small. If you choose to donate, you can either remain anonymous, or send us a notification so that we can include you in our social media efforts leading up to the race and thank you for your participation.

Please contact us if you have any questions - sales at southernfixies.co.za

Tristan Sandwith

Southern Fixies

T: @Southernfixies

Edited by SouthernFixies