What do you do with your medals?

gummibear

Sorted my medals out the weekend, I stopped taking medals about 2 years ago, some like my 1st Argus, 947 etc I'll keep.This lot will be given to Caxton to be distributed to various hospitals in Gauteng as bravery awards for children. Sadly some races I have medals for are unfortunately no longer held.

Drugwise Challenge

Blockhouse Challenge

President cycle Challenge

Chappies Cycle Challenge

Alabarante Classic

Northmead Square

Fountains Cycle Challenge

Westcon Cycle Challenge

Birchleigh MTB Challenge

Serenegeti MTB Challenge

post-7-0-90339000-1534232282_thumb.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorted my medals out the weekend, I stopped taking medals about 2 years ago, some like my 1st Argus, 947 etc I'll keep.This lot will be given to Caxton to be distributed to various hospitals in Gauteng as bravery awards for children. Sadly some races I have medals for are unfortunately no longer held.

Drugwise Challenge

Blockhouse Challenge

President cycle Challenge

Chappies Cycle Challenge

Alabarante Classic

Northmead Square

Fountains Cycle Challenge

Westcon Cycle Challenge

Birchleigh MTB Challenge

Serenegeti MTB Challenge

Show off.

:clap: 

I had some sentimental medals form my school days  for  Jnr SA athletics . 

Then it got stolen  during a house burglary.  :cursing:

Had a bit of satisfaction because other than sentimental value, I think they a worth nothing. 

Bastards. 

Any medals I got as adult and from cycling . . . . my kids play with it and it gets lost. 

Edited by IH8MUD

With a slight 'hack' you can turn them into key rings - for your house doors, your bike rack and lock keys, your shed lock etc etc - I am sure the ratio of  medal to key/lock is huge but at least you get to see the best ones and make some use of them rather than them hanging around collecting dust or stuck in a draw. Boston marathon is my bike lock, old cross country medal is back shed!

I throw them into a drawer. Will hang them on a nice hangar when I get round to setting up my pain cave properly. 

With a slight 'hack' you can turn them into key rings - for your house doors, your bike rack and lock keys, your shed lock etc etc - I am sure the ratio of  medal to key/lock is huge but at least you get to see the best ones and make some use of them rather than them hanging around collecting dust or stuck in a draw. Boston marathon is my bike lock, old cross country medal is back shed!

many of the ones I have would be to massive to make a convenient keyring.

But I like your idea anyway.

Also stopped taking medals a few years back. That said, I've taken all four medals on offer at the running events I've done this year.

Edenvale 10Km - first ever run

Colgate 15Km - my longest run to date

Some night race at PWC bike park - that can be kept for Scotty's donation place.

Discovery run last weekend, because it's a set of 4.

I know I have my 2 Argus medals, and a few of my initial 947 medals. The Ride 4 Sight one's are in the cutlery drawer (bottle openers). As for the rest... tossed in the bin many moons ago.

• 7 months later...

still taking my medals  :whistling:   :thumbup:   We did not keep any of the medals from when we did rides in the 90's, so building a new collection

Time to work on a plan for hanging them in the braai room ....

I am also wondering about "marking" the medals, at least those mark milestones in terms of my progress .... Would like to record the distance and time .... (many events now just give a "year" medal, not showing if you did the 5km or the 60km ...)

Edited by ChrisF

When we cleared up and sold our house I got rid of all my medals. I chucked a few in storage waiting to come over here. In there are my sani2c medals and all my running marathon medals including my 2 oceans. My comrades medals came over with me.. These are the only ones i really care about.

Somewhere, sooner or later, someone must do a proper framing of their most prized medals. Like military medals get framed (see picture). If I had an Olympic medal, TdeFrance or a Comrades medal, it sure would qualify in my mind. But perhaps for some of us an Epic,  W2W or a S2C it is as significant an achievement? Even "just" an Argus medal may well be a summiting of Everest for another.

If I think of Team DJR, perhaps the medal that "senior" got from the Argus on his 80th birthday would qualify? Or framing the 4 Argus medals we got when 3 generations of us started and finished it together (with the 2 youngest 11 and 12 years old and riding their 1st one)? 

I've got so many medals that I thought I would make a wind chime out of them and hang it outside my study window. That way I would always hear "cycling noises", and in a Southeaster it could serve as a warning bell to start thinking about a good excuse to sleep late? :D  ;)  

post-17716-0-39458100-1555142236_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Somewhere, sooner or later, someone must do a proper framing of their most prized medals. Like military medals get framed (see picture). If I had an Olympic medal, TdeFrance or a Comrades medal, it sure would qualify in my mind. But perhaps for some of us an Epic, W2W or a S2C it is as significant an achievement? Even "just" an Argus medal may well be a summiting of Everest for another.

If I think of Team DJR, perhaps the medal that "senior" got from the Argus on his 80th birthday would qualify? Or framing the 4 Argus medals we got when 3 generations of us started and finished it together (with the 2 youngest 11 and 12 years old and riding their 1st one)?

I've got so many medals that I thought I would make a wind chime out of them and hang it outside my study window. That way I would always hear "cycling noises", and in a Southeaster it could serve as a warning bell to start thinking about a good excuse to sleep late? :D ;)

Very cool. My parents house was broken into a few years ago and the stole 2 of my grandfather's medals. His ww2 SA medal and 1 other (I can't remember off hand)... But thankfully they left his 2 DSC medals... Which have no real money value but significant personal value. It's a pity because when I inherit them one day I would like to frame them with his coronation sword (which he got for marching in the Queen's coronation) and now they are not a complete set

Somewhere, sooner or later, someone must do a proper framing of their most prized medals. Like military medals get framed (see picture). If I had an Olympic medal, TdeFrance or a Comrades medal, it sure would qualify in my mind. But perhaps for some of us an Epic,  W2W or a S2C it is as significant an achievement? Even "just" an Argus medal may well be a summiting of Everest for another.

I've got so many medals that I thought I would make a wind chime out of them and hang it outside my study window. That way I would always hear "cycling noises", and in a Southeaster it could serve as a warning bell to start thinking about a good excuse to sleep late? :D  ;)  

Very nice idea !

Thinking of making something like this of my key recovery rides, adding a few of Maritz and I ....

Energy events give out succulent plants and a Stodels R25 voucher. Those are the only ones I take.

I have some medals of things I actually won. But otherwise they are just a waste. Rather give me something practical that will remind me 'oh, that race was cool. I should run/ride/paddle/swim that one again.

I use my Darling DBX glasses all the time. 

I'm not terribly sentimental I suppose. 

On another note, I have become 'one of those guys' whose wardrobe is made up almost entirely of event shirts. As a hip cool yougster I always thought that would never happen, now I find myself having to actually look for non event T-shirts in the morning!

Edited by Jewbacca