Tour Durban hands over race profits

Matt

How serious do you take a tattooed person?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. How seriously do you take a tattooed person?

• Not seriously
    • Seriously
  2. 2. Is it ok for a woman to have a 6 inch tattoo on her shoulder blade?

• Yes
    • No, she looks like a slut and will probably infect me.

Why give money generated through cycling to charities if the National Body is in need of funds to develop the sport. How many millions generated using cycling are given to charities every year. As Cycling SA has no money half of the proceeds could have been invested back into cycling.

I do not think the Bulls will give their gate takings to a charity every Saterday.

There is definately something wrong with the way cycling is managed in this country.

Sorry Butch. I think you have lost the plot here. This event is not run by CSA, it is run by the Club Cuppachino Trust who raise money to take cycling to those less fortunate. CSA makes everyone who rides any event under their banner have a CSA licence and that is where they get their money from. Of course, now they are trying to bully PPA to get their hands on The Argus money. But that is a whole other story!

I am quite happy that I donated my share by riding this tour. Great to ride around Durban with full road closure.

Edited by Dazshell

Sorry no lost plot. I know cycling well enough to know that certain companies, organisations, etc own races and organise races which is a very lucrative business. A lot of people (Race organising companies, Timing companies, On line entry companies, medal companies, printing companies individual organises, etc) get a lot of money from races.

What CSA is getting paid in comparison to be allowed to host a race is small change in comparison.

More money should be chanelled into cycling. The money CSA get from licensing and event calender fees is a pittance to run an National Sporting body. The R 3 a rider is also a small drop in the bucket.

Half of all proceeds must go to CSA.

What was the gross income for this race?

Interesting debate Butch.

Let's change the activity. Let's say you host a charity day for stray dogs and that you're going to get girls to wash cars in bikinis, should the profit you make go to the stray dog charity or to the soap lobby because there's not enough clean people in the country?

When CSA start acting responsibly with the money they do get, and when they start looking after the interest of the recreational cyclists out there, then I will agree with Butch. But until then they can get Knotted!!! they don't deserve a cent from the recreational cyclist or any race organizer.

As far as these huge amounts being handed over to the so called PDA and less fortunate (PDA in other words), I disagree with as well. "Give a hungry person a fish and you'll fill his belly for a day, teach him to fish and his belly will be full for a lifetime"

They have been disadvantaged for nearly 20 years, if they havn't come right by now they never will.

• 6 months later...

Sorry no lost plot. I know cycling well enough to know that certain companies, organisations, etc own races and organise races which is a very lucrative business. A lot of people (Race organising companies, Timing companies, On line entry companies, medal companies, printing companies individual organises, etc) get a lot of money from races.

What CSA is getting paid in comparison to be allowed to host a race is small change in comparison.

More money should be chanelled into cycling. The money CSA get from licensing and event calender fees is a pittance to run an National Sporting body. The R 3 a rider is also a small drop in the bucket.

Half of all proceeds must go to CSA.

What was the gross income for this race?

Unfortunately you are very misinformed then. Tour Durban contributed over R80 000 to CSA last year. That is double what was contributed to charity. CSA's business model is and should not be based around the events. The events create a cycling industry from which the national body, CSA, should leverage off with TV rights and sponsorship. It is up to the events to help contribute to CSA, it is not up to the events to fund CSA's operations solely.