Hang on bike rack question

Ilana

I recently bought a new car - upgraded from a polo vivo to polo 1.6.

I have a Thule hang on bike rack.

Question is will I be able to use it on my Polo 1.6 as this has a boot spoiler which the vivo did not have. I remember them asking me about the boot spoiler when I bought the rack originally and want to know if it makes a difference. will it damage my car if I use one not meant for a boot spoiler?

I only use it to transport my mtb as my road bike fits easily into the car when I put the seats flat so it will be carrying some weight and on the odd occasion when I have to transport more than one bike.

Any advise would be most welcome.

tx

It messed my mini cooper S up, spoiler the works! The clips also scratch the paint etc etc!! I got the Thule pro that clips onto my roof racks! Best solution....

Mmm - was suspecting I would probably have to go the tow-bar or roof rack route - both would require installation thereof.

Any contact with your paint will damage it. Remember that the rack is going to be making constant contact with the same spot on your car.

I had a Hang on rack years back before thule came out. They all eventually damage your car, I had mine on a 3 series BMW and it eventually bent the boot. Well it was actually my fault for not thinking because I opened the boot while the rack was strapped to it and the tension bent the boot lid so badly it wouldn't close.

I don't like hang on racks because they also scratch your bike, or allow the bike to flap around in the wind, unless you steal the kids pool noodles and use them as spacers between the bikes.

Now I drive and Outlander (Mitsibushi) and their stupid design does not cator for a towbar, and if you install one you will damage the tailgate when you open it.

Best solution is to install a THULE removeable towbar, and then buy a BOSAL bike rack. When you not using it, you can fold it up and store it in the garage and remove the towbar.....then your Vivo won't look like a caravan puller

Thanks for the advise - car booked in to have tow-bar fitted in the morning. Getting a good deal as not installing the wire harness as I do not intend to tow anything with the car - so essentially only for bike rack purposes.

Anyone to keen to trade a hang on for a tow bar clip on rack? :ph34r:

Thanks for the advise - car booked in to have tow-bar fitted in the morning. Getting a good deal as not installing the wire harness as I do not intend to tow anything with the car - so essentially only for bike rack purposes.

Anyone to keen to trade a hang on for a tow bar clip on rack? :ph34r:

But how are you going to work the tail lights on the bike rack without the harness :eek: Be carefull with this as the cops love pulling over cyclists and fining them for no number plates and tail lights not working on towbar bike racks

But how are you going to work the tail lights on the bike rack without the harness :eek: Be carefull with this as the cops love pulling over cyclists and fining them for no number plates and tail lights not working on towbar bike racks

If it is a small towbar rack, those dont have taillights. Otherwise, OP could always put a few LED lights on the rack :blink:

Your number plate still needs to be visible. OP might be able to get around it if the lights are visible through the bikes.

Edited by Grebel

Agree.

I don't know hown much you'll be saving, and you are possibly going to be using the basic rack without lights or number plate holder, but it may be worth reconsidering because your circumstances may change in future.

Wiring the towbar now may seem unnecessary, but it may actually save you in the long run.

Yeah - have reconsidered the wire harness. Will possibly look at getting a platform rack not much of a saving on wire harness and in the end the long term saving on safe bike transport out weights the initial forking out of cash.