2nd hand buying help - Enduro / All mountain

Brawler

The trance SX is gonna be sweet, but pricey.

I have just pushed go on a TX 27.5 - 2, and will do a few upgrades.

Just over $4000 for a complete bike according to Giant. Expect putting in the rough without lube wrt local pricing. Meh.. Frankly,i just want the frame..

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Owning a Giant Athem/Trance is like owning a Toyota Fortuner - Good Value Solid Reliable Bicycle/Car, but everyone has one! (and the R15k new Trance X3 mentioned in a previous post is very poorly spec'ed).

PS. I am the guy selling the Specialized Enduro .... Moohahaha (evil laughter)

I thought I'd not mention who is selling it but if you want to make yourself known that is cool.

The other bike on my list is a Trance X2 so the spec is decent. I don't mind a Toyota kind of bicycle as this isn't going to be my everyday bike. I built my jump bike from the ground and up so its 100% custom and although I love it I don't think its worth the huge expense compared to a "Toyota". I still can't backflip :P

I'm looking at frames, are reigns available from the distributor as just framesets?

Edit: spelling

Edited by BikeBailing

He means the quality of the shock is such that you shouldn't even consider the bike. Shock, not fork. As in the rear shock.

What he said

Owning a Giant Athem/Trance is like owning a Toyota Fortuner - LAND CRUISER :clap: Good Value Solid Reliable Bicycle/Car, but everyone has one! ,but there's sense to the madness (and the R15k new Trance X3 mentioned in a previous post is very poorly spec'ed).

PS. I am the guy selling the Specialized Enduro .... Moohahaha (evil laughter)

PS: Not shooting down your bike at all.

I just love my trance X1 2009 (which almost went into the classifieds :eek: )

i have a trance with a decent fork and shock, and even though it's light, that damn bike is in its element when you really lay on the gas. Go abit slow, and it feels flimsy, but i think that if you set your damping properly, you will not run out of travel. Ppl set their suspensions for plushness thinking its' the same at all speeds. Noob mistake. If you hit stuff hard, u have to up the stiffness. But all personal preference i guess.

anyways, while there is no doubt better out there, u won't go wrong with a trance.

To wit, I'm eyeballing the 2014 Trance SX. So much of yum!

Me too... (not the SX though - $$$)

The 2014 SX rocks! Would be my choice too coming from a Reign background - but I won't since I am sorted for life!

I take you are very happy with your Sukuma.

Would the Sukuma frame be able to fit 650B wheels?

i have a trance with a decent fork and shock, and even though it's light, that damn bike is in its element when you really lay on the gas. Go abit slow, and it feels flimsy, but i think that if you set your damping properly, you will not run out of travel. Ppl set their suspensions for plushness thinking its' the same at all speeds. Noob mistake. If you hit stuff hard, u have to up the stiffness. But all personal preference i guess.

anyways, while there is no doubt better out there, u won't go wrong with a trance.

To wit, I'm eyeballing the 2014 Trance SX. So much of yum!

Isnt it time for the specialized clearance about now,anone have the pricelist .. like this old link

http://www.specialized-sa.co.za/pdf/1112_Speicalized_EndOfYear_Bike_WEB.pdf

I take you are very happy with your Sukuma.

Would the Sukuma frame be able to fit 650B wheels?

I wouldn't know, thought has never crossed my mind..

I had a Spez enduro a few years back, in fact it was the first ones that came out. It had the double crown fork. It was a great bike at the time I did many a marathon on it and it climbed pretty well. I loved that bike.

I sold it and got a Spez epic, which is a totally different bike obviously. A great bike but always had that something missing. I myself like jumping, skidding and acting like a bafoon every once in a while. But I needed a change.

So I bought a Commencal AM2. Hands down the best bike I have ridden. Strong and super fun to ride, bmx style. I am 1,78m and ride a medium because I like a more playfull feel. It climbs super well too as a added bonus. I will recommend the Commencal over the Enduro.

I haven't ridden a Gaint but since you brought up the AM and Enduro I thought I would let you know my thoughts on the 2.

Thanks 2teeth! Your 2c are greatly appreciated. I know the Commencal meta AM is a sweet bike. At the moment Im just wondering if its worth the price premium ( considering its bike #3)

I hear what you say about the price, I got mine on a good deal as it was the demo bike so it was a bit cheaper.

But all in I am super happy. It's not the lightest bike in the world so don't expect a podium on a MTB race but that said When the road goes flat ( it pedals well even without the propedal)or down, that's when the fun begins!

2 things that are a bit annoying about the bike, there has to be something is 1) no bottle cage mounts. So if you like a camelbac, you in business.

2) the internal cable routing. It makes a sqweaky noise by the headset.

That's that. Look honestly be it Commencal or the enduro or whatever bike, the AM bikes are fun. And you'll enjoy it if I read your riding style description.