Bike Racks

Beyersoost

Hey Guys

I want to buy a bike rack and want to be able to tow a Jan Venter trailer while the rack is fitted to the car. I drive a Toyota Fortuner and ride a 29er MTB. I don't like the racks on the roof of the car or on top of the trailer, so I want the bike in between the car and the trailer. Is that even possible? I looked at the Thule platforms but all fits to the towbar. Im not sure if the station wagon boot mounted ones will fit on the Fortuner's rear door and whether it will fit between the car and the trailer.

Please Help!!

Why don't you want the bike on the Thule proride on your trailer? It works very well for me as you can fit up to 3 bikes on the trailer. The challenge with fitting a bike rack between the trailer and car is that you may end up touching the wheels of the bike when you turn sharply. I don't think that a standard trailer has enough length between the trailer body and the hitch to clear a sharp turn with a bike and I don't think that it would be legal to have a tow ball fitted to the back of a bike rack as the tow ball would not be sufficiently anchored to legally allow towing. Your only other alternative is to fit a tow ball on the back of your Venter and fit a standard towbar mounted bike rack behind the trailer. All of the above would be custom jobs, and may well cost more than 2 x pro rides and a separate bike rack.

You can fit a plate to the Tuna rack and a towball higher. I'd be wary of stones bouncing off the Venter on the rack, dust will be hectic too.

I use a Thule Euroclassic bike rack on my caravan :-)

I fitted a towbar to my caravan and put the Thule onto the towbar (back of caravan).

Carrying 3 bikes (20", 26" & 29")

Have never had any problems with stability.

The thule fitted onto the ball (of towbar) is very stable (no side sway or bouncing).

Now, not sure if you can fit a towbar to a Venter trailer; but if I was you and don't want the racks on the roofs, I would go for a towbar behind the Venter :thumbup:

Edited by ACM

I have resorted to doing the same as ACM .. Towbar on trailer and the bike rack. I have tried all the ways over the years and this works best. If trailer did not have tent on top then I would mount on top of trailer.

Thanx a lot everybody

The Reason that I don't want to fit on top of the trailer is because I want 1 rack whether Im towing a trailer or not. The ball on the back of the Venter sounds like a winner. Karl, I assume you have a 4x4 trailer and not a Venter. If its a Venter, pls let me know how you mounted the ball on the back of the Venter.

Last thing, do you suggest the platform (Euro carrier) type racks or the cheaper Xpress racks? Is it worth the extra money

Exactly why I went for this solution (to be able to carry bikes) whether I'm camping with caravan or not.

Just keep in mind that the Thule bike racks (euro classic) weight 18kg and 3 x AVG bike is probably another 35kg to 40kg, meaning your towbar (behind the venter) needs to hold a dead weight (force on towball) of +- 60kg.

I went for the Euroclassic G5 (I think) because it takes 3 bikes, but can be extended to 4 bikes... me, wife & 2 kids...

I would professionally fit the towbar (if you decide to go that route) and don't attempt a DYI job. You would need to fit the towbar to the chassis of the venter.

Also remember that you play with the weight distribution of the trailer - there is a min and max weight allowed on a towbal. I think 90kg (max) in SA and min 25kg (speak under correction). So, you need to pack your trailer so the weight is distributed more forward to counter the weight at the back.

Edited by ACM

Ratchet strap the Thule onto rails on trailer lid. Doesn't move an inch and you've got the best of both.