Suikerbosrand - Accident 18-09-2013

Warren911

Hi all

I heard that yesterday 18-09-2013 a cyclist was air lifted by helicopter to Union hospital.

Crash happened on the downhill near the dam.

Hoping for a quick and complete recovery.

Hope he/she is ok, that is a really fast section. A crash there is going to be hard and very painful.

It would be interesting to know how long they waited for medical attention, Suikerbos is pretty desolate midweek, and cellphone reception is dodgy at best.

Another one?

Mate of mine binned it there the other day and ended up with a cracked skull

Edited by nigelhicks

Four elite cyclists were admitted to Union Hospital. They received medical attention very quickly and the paramedics did an excellent job stabilising them. The ambulances took a long time to find their way out of Suikerbosrand. One of the cyclists was discharged on Sunday after getting medical attention and the other three were in ICU. They sustain serious injuries and all three of them underwent surgery for different injuries. They are recovering well and I think one of them went home yesterday while one is still in UCI as he underwent surgery again and the other one was moved to a general ward. I have purposely not mentioned the cyclists names as I have a very close relationship to one of them. Thank you to everyone who sent get well wishes and for your visits to them at the hospital, it is greatly appriciated.

Four elite cyclists were admitted to Union Hospital. They received medical attention very quickly and the paramedics did an excellent job stabilising them. The ambulances took a long time to find their way out of Suikerbosrand. One of the cyclists was discharged on Sunday after getting medical attention and the other three were in ICU. They sustain serious injuries and all three of them underwent surgery for different injuries. They are recovering well and I think one of them went home yesterday while one is still in UCI as he underwent surgery again and the other one was moved to a general ward. I have purposely not mentioned the cyclists names as I have a very close relationship to one of them. Thank you to everyone who sent get well wishes and for your visits to them at the hospital, it is greatly appriciated.

THIS SEEMS TO BE A SEPERATE ISSUE, NOT THE RACE

yip different scene. That was over the weekend. Glad to hear they doing well though. Speedy recovery to all

Sorry about that dipslick and Richard29 my mistake. Just hearing of another accident in Suikerbos got me confused. My the cyclist concerned have a speedy recovery.

Hope the cyclist has a speedy recovery. That section can be quit fast and windy.

Be careful out there guys and gals!

I also came off hard in SBR on the first downhill section into the gorge. Off the road and down the side. Luckily no major injuries but my frame was trashed. Luckily I got picked up by a passing motorist

I also came off hard in SBR on the first downhill section into the gorge. Off the road and down the side. Luckily no major injuries but my frame was trashed. Luckily I got picked up by a passing motorist

Ja, and that spooked you so much Ha Ha that you haven't got on a bike since! :P :lol: :D

That section is the only place in Gauteng (that I know of) where brakes can fail due to overheating. Carbon wheels are especially vulnerable for brake fail (I won't even call it fade 'cause it just switches off) there. It is our highest and steepest hill with a descent of about 300m (GPS okes can verify this for me) in a matter of a few hundred meters.

That section is the only place in Gauteng (that I know of) where brakes can fail due to overheating. Carbon wheels are especially vulnerable for brake fail (I won't even call it fade 'cause it just switches off) there. It is our highest and steepest hill with a descent of about 300m (GPS okes can verify this for me) in a matter of a few hundred meters.

Glad I have aluminium braking strip then. Luckily I don't brake much there. On the brakes a bit for the corners and then release.

Although I suspect this crash was more due to a sudden gust of wind. Last time I was there the wind on that section was terrible. If it his mid corner or on the exit then you can easily crash.