Tri Talk SA: What is holding you back from being an Ironman?

Claudio

On my bucket list. Must be a great achievement although Thug might think it is over rated.Quote"Been there, done that, got the t-shirt."

No, not overrated at all. A brilliant race but one you need to prepare for properly. I just don't see myself, neither do I have the time, continuously putting in the hours required to do it year in and year out.

If you don't have the time to commit to at least 15hrs + a week for training and the proper equipment then you're going to battle and not enjoy the day.

On the bucket list.

It will be done. Oh yes, it will be done.

(Just have to lose about 20kg's first)

No, not overrated at all. A brilliant race but one you need to prepare for properly. I just don't see myself, neither do I have the time, continuously putting in the hours required to do it year in and year out.

If you don't have the time to commit to at least 15hrs + a week for training and the proper equipment then you're going to battle and not enjoy the day.

Thanks for clearing that up.Lots of hard work and commitment needed

Are you allowed to swim with a life jacket and baggy shorts

Sure thing.

Life jacket = wetsuit,

baggy shorts = whatever you can fit under the wetsuit.

Inspiring dude.

I'd love to say I'm a triathlete... but while I might float like a butterfly... I swim like a brick... glug... glug... glug...

Time to train.

I have 2 awesome daughters and a wife that I like to spend weekends with...

Can't justify spending every weekend out on the road and/or in the pool training for a whole year.

Edited by StevieL

• 2 weeks later...

the swimming for sure. the swim leg even prevents me from doing a standard tri ...I can swim fine, but have a "phobia' of going deep out where i have no accessible access to something to stand on or hold onto....result of a pool incident when i was a laaitjie

need to get over it one day.....and they are running out

I stumbled accross something the other day that you would in all likely never need but could help with your phobia. will see if I can find.