Rui Costa takes first gold medal for Portugal in Road World Championships

Claudio

Portugal’s Rui Costa claimed a stunning victory in the 2013 UCI Road World Championships Elite Mens Road Race - his country’s first ever in that category - outpowering Joaquim Rodriguez of Spain in a two rider duel. Alejandro Valverde, also of Spain, then beat Italian Vincenzo Nibali for bronze.

Click here to view the article

Heróis do mar, nobre povo,

Naçao valente, imortal,

Levantai hoje de novo

Os esplendor de Portugal.

Heroes of the sea, noble race,

Valiant and immortal nation,

Rise up once again

The splendor of Portugal.

Well done Rui!

Edited by jesilvaltd

Continuing the team versus country loyalty debate...would Valverde have chased Rui Costa if he wasn't his team mate? Did he put Spain or Movistar first?

Continuing the team versus country loyalty debate...would Valverde have chased Rui Costa if he wasn't his team mate? Did he put Spain or Movistar first?

After he's(Valverde) performance in the Vuelta, he fell off on sudden attacks and climbed back on his own pace.

Think the acceleration of Costa was just to much after 270km in the legs for a guy who was already battling in the Vuelta to keep up with sudden attacks.

So I reckon he couldnt, He wants gold, no doubt about that.

Edited by antonj

hes already signed with Merida, so cant see that coming into it, especially since UCI points stay with the rider......would have had no benefit to Movistar.....

hes already signed with Merida, so cant see that coming into it, especially since UCI points stay with the rider......would have had no benefit to Movistar.....

Ah yes. Good point. I forgot about the pink jokes :-)