Frustrated Newbie

nollas

Evening peoples of cycle ....

As a newbie looking for a fairly decent secondhand bike I reallly want to pull all my hair from frustration.

I have been a lurker on your wonderfull forum for quite some time and gained a heap of knowledge from this.

I have just one question ?

Are all sellers on your classified section auctioneers?

I have confirmed on quite a few occasions to purchase a bike from someone (would rather not name an shame) , via email and telephonically.

On all these occasions it was confirmed and then I get some PMs stating that another person on the forum offered more (in some cases a mere R100).

I am just asking , is that the standard or should the classifieds be renamed "Bidorbuy" affiliate. I am a member on quite a few other forums and do not see this trend.

PLEASE .... If you want the guys to bid on your items , state that in your ad.

Just my 1 and half cents worth.

You know things that are meant to happen usually just fall into place.Someone whos going to chop and change for a hundred bucks or 2 might not be worth dealing with anyways.....

Encountered that more then once on here aswell and told them to shuvit,im sure they are in some way bound by stating a price in black and white..but after that point i have a bad taste and just move on.. and it is their prerogative if they are able to make more on the sale...

Glad i didnt buy it actually :thumbup:

The gems are few and far between.. but they are here..just be vigilant on the hunt....got a set of bars on here other day brand new not a nick for less then any shop worldwide sells them... had them in hand less then 10 hours :thumbup:

Also been sold a cracked frame .......... though that only grease bubbles alluded too 1 day later on rebuild :mellow:

Well , I bought a fairly decent bike this afternoon from a very nice guy. Didnt pay a lot and had the help of some "cyclebuddies" to ensure it is a good buy as a beginner bike.

Now for the upgrades ....

Well , I bought a fairly decent bike this afternoon from a very nice guy. Didnt pay a lot and had the help of some "cyclebuddies" to ensure it is a good buy as a beginner bike.

Now for the upgrades ....

Congratulations on your purchase... wish you many happy km's...

In terms of the original post, in my own personal experience I find most "buyers" also trade HARD.... it's just as insulting and irritating.

I've sold plenty bikes on here, even almost had two okes fist fighting over one of my bikes in my driveway..

But to be honest, selling/buying on thehub is usually a pleasant experience, I've met many people and made many friends.

I guess the best way to sum it up is "hate the game, not the player"....

Had a huber try to remove parts after we had agreed on a price, I offered lower than his list(as expected) just to find that he then want to remove the seat post and handlebars! Told him to get stuffed bike remained listed for 2 months! All that *** over R500...

Oldest trick in the book.

You contact seller and tell them that you are interested, they tell you someone else is interested and offered more to pay , so you can try and beat them. Most of the time they are bullsh!tting you and you are the only one interested. I would give it a few days and wait for seller to beg you to buy the bike.

Remember the one with the cash is in charge.

My 2c

Every forum has it's fair share of plonkers, the Hub too.!

Fortunately they are still in the minority imo, and we should do all we can to keep it that way.

Evening peoples of cycle ....

As a newbie looking for a fairly decent secondhand bike I reallly want to pull all my hair from frustration.

I have been a lurker on your wonderfull forum for quite some time and gained a heap of knowledge from this.

I have just one question ?

Are all sellers on your classified section auctioneers?

I have confirmed on quite a few occasions to purchase a bike from someone (would rather not name an shame) , via email and telephonically.

On all these occasions it was confirmed and then I get some PMs stating that another person on the forum offered more (in some cases a mere R100).

I am just asking , is that the standard or should the classifieds be renamed "Bidorbuy" affiliate. I am a member on quite a few other forums and do not see this trend.

PLEASE .... If you want the guys to bid on your items , state that in your ad.

Just my 1 and half cents worth.

*** style imo. When you commit, you commit. You dont come back and say now Ive got a better offer.Imo there are far too many one post wonders using our playgroumd to sell thier bikes or parts

Edited by Vetseun

*** style imo. When you commit, you commit. Ypu dont come back and say now Ive got a better offer.Imo there are far too many one post wonders using our playgroumd to sell thier bikes or parts

I agree. On other forums there is a time and post criteria that needs to be met before you are allowed certain privileges like selling, posting pictures etc.

Rate the sale if the add is still up. A bad rating is bad news for hubbers who sell regularly.

This, give them a bad rating...people should seriously use this functionality.

Oldest trick in the book.

You contact seller and tell them that you are interested, they tell you someone else is interested and offered more to pay , so you can try and beat them. Most of the time they are bullsh!tting you and you are the only one interested. I would give it a few days and wait for seller to beg you to buy the bike.

Remember the one with the cash is in charge.

My 2c

Yip - One of the golden rules of investment - The one who has the gold makes the rules...