Calling all Formula aficionados

G00SE

So last weekend I had a minor lie down in the dirt at groenies. When I got home I noticed the top cap on the master cylinder of my XT brakes was dented, and is leaking fluid slightly.

This is perfect justification to get some new brakes ;)

I am looking at these two sets of formulas from CRC:

Formula R1s Disc Brake Set 2012: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/formula-r1s-disc-brake-set-2012/rp-prod93694

Formula T1s Disc Brake Set 2012: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/formula-t1s-disc-brake-set-2012/rp-prod93693

Anyone have any experience with these specific models?

Are they a good deal, or should I rather be looking at something else?

Either will be great. Go with the T1's and add FCS - http://www.formula-italy.com/en/product/fcs/14

They're not that much heavier than the R1's but with increased stopping power. The better option. RO's would be great - kinda a best of both when it comes to weight and stopping power. It's their latest effort so will be cutting edge tech.

But you won't regret getting the T1's. Still ahead of the rest.

I have the R1s.

Used Shimano Deore and XT before. The R1 has much better stopping power and the brake modulation is fantastic.

The fact that you can set the lever distance on the lever itself also works really well.

The only downside is that they can get a bit noisy with dust and water on the discs.

Also, the pads can be a bit expensive (At local LBS, though should work out cheaper online).

Unfortunately cannot comment on the T1's...

Edited by jmic

The only downside is that they can get a bit noisy with dust and water on the discs.

FCS helps with that

Concur what jmic said: don't like moisture or contaminants, so they howl like monkeys at times.

But, the renowned modulation is tangible (not merely a forum fallacy) and they retain prodigious wheel deceleration properties even on very long, testing, descents.

Mine have made Jonkershoek a much safe, more enjoyable place.

I had the R1's on my Zula and now ride the T1's on my stumpy FSR 29er. The R1's were much more noisy than what the T1's are for some reason.

right, so i checked out this thread ready to berate the Op for leaving the number 1 out of the topic title....

but moving along..

Formula R1s Disc Brake Set 2012 i have these on my Stumpjumper. They are amazing. I previously had Elexir CR was very happy with them, however i think (personal opinion) that are way better. The stopping power is amazing, can be a little noisy but i really rate them in the wet or dry.

I have R1, XX and Elixer CRs on my bikes.

The best brake, for balance of the 3 is the R1. The XX are the loudest ( XTR ice rotors), organic front and sintered rear, both squeal like a grated pig.

The stopping power on the Elixer's and the R1 are about the same but the modulation on the R1 is superior. The R1 handles heat better than the other two, have never had them run more than the gentle buzz on me.

Bleeding, all 3 bleed about the same. Ease to change pads the same, pad cost about the same.