First AM Bike

Bra B

Sup guys

Looking at buying first AM bike. Checked out some Enduro/AM threads and seems like the Giant Reign is a good option to go for, bang for your buck but open to any other suggestions and advise.

Which model do you recommend and when will the 2014 stock be here? Looking for something under +- R35k.

Any feedback on the Stumpy FSR? Heard spares/parts can be pricey to get.

Wife going to kill me for this addiction.... :eek:

Thanks

B

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo dude.

Yeah. The reign is a very good option, real bang for buck type stuff. That and the commencal meta am, if you can find a 2013 model at the shops still.

As for the 2014 bikes - the reign is being replaced by the Trance SX 650b, which is still a bloody good bike, but will be more pricey than the reign thanks to the usd exchange rate and distributors taking their inflationary cut as well.

A good place to start would be www.commencal.co.za - they may still have some clearance items (old stock) but still some very very good deals to be had on there.

Think the meta 5.5 or meta 6, or the Meta am.

On the giant side 2013 is the reign, 2014 is the trance sx.

Also a very under rated bike is the mongoose teocali. They generally go for quite good prices, with reasonable spec.

But for your 35k, you'll get a really really good bike.

As for spaz - some places are selling old stock Enduro 26ers for VERY good prices. Very good bike as well.

Welcome to the club, and happy hunting!

I'm super happy with my Stumpy FSR. It is a 29'er though.

Also had to take my fork in user warranty yesterday, since the CTD unit on the Fox pooped.

You should be able to get a 26" Stumpy for cheap with money to burn on serious bling.

Happy hunting!

Saw the just un boxed and assembled giant trance 650b......140mm travel, 13.2kg out the box and selling for 20k......did i mention it is one very sexy bike!

Saw the just un boxed and assembled giant trance 650b......140mm travel, 13.2kg out the box and selling for 20k......did i mention it is one very sexy bike!

that black number at Action? seksi beast indeed..

Who is selling this bike or where can I check it out?

Yo dude.

Yeah. The reign is a very good option, real bang for buck type stuff. That and the commencal meta am, if you can find a 2013 model at the shops still.

As for the 2014 bikes - the reign is being replaced by the Trance SX 650b, which is still a bloody good bike, but will be more pricey than the reign thanks to the usd exchange rate and distributors taking their inflationary cut as well.

A good place to start would be www.commencal.co.za - they may still have some clearance items (old stock) but still some very very good deals to be had on there.

Think the meta 5.5 or meta 6, or the Meta am.

On the giant side 2013 is the reign, 2014 is the trance sx.

Also a very under rated bike is the mongoose teocali. They generally go for quite good prices, with reasonable spec.

But for your 35k, you'll get a really really good bike.

As for spaz - some places are selling old stock Enduro 26ers for VERY good prices. Very good bike as well.

Welcome to the club, and happy hunting!

shot for the feedback! will be checking it out soon.

that is the one cap....would love to see that frame with a full black pike and black XT9 group set

she's a natural for a stealth bomber.. begging for the spec u mentioned.

Check out Diald bikes; some nice bikes and their local. All these under R35k and all of them excellent bikes

http://dialdbikes.co...mountain-bikes/

http://dialdbikes.co.za/images/detailed/1/FOXY_1_foto_.jpg

http://dialdbikes.co.za/images/detailed/0/nukeproof-mega-tr-rockshox-monarch-rt3-silver-medium-2013-5153-p.jpg

http://dialdbikes.co.za/images/detailed/1/Meta_AM_2_2012.jpg

http://dialdbikes.co.za/images/detailed/1/Commencal_Meta_AM_3_20121.jpg

I'll disagree with my friend. and say you dont need 160mm, not strictly speaking. You can get 140mm forks that offer proper damping controls. I have a manitou 80mm fork that feels bottomless. Never would've thought i'd experience that until I did. Same thing with the 140mm fork i have on my current trail bike.

More generally, fork and shock travel, no matter how much travel, is rubbish without decent damping. More is not always better nor a panacea. It can save you big $$ and weight if that is your thing. But note: the minute you start choosing forks that offer really good damping and damping controls, the price goes up.

Edited by Capricorn

I have a Commencal AM 2. I did mankele 3 towers on it, the race not the challenge. Bang for your buck, it is a good bike. Super sturdy and flies on the downhills.

Only gripe is the Fulcrum wheels. They aren't the best, I had to get the rear trued after a spoke broke while bunny hopping a speed bump. And the shwalbe tyres are a joke, I have seen condoms with thicker side walls.

As I said did 3 towers on mine, I did use the pro pedal to get up the climbs so I would go for the AM 2 or 1. The AM 3 doesn't come with the pro pedal if I am not mistaken.

I'll disagree with my friend. and say you dont need 160mm, not strictly speaking. You can get 140mm forks that offer proper damping controls. I have a manitou 80mm fork that feels bottomless. Never would've thought i'd experience that until I did. Same thing with the 140mm fork i have on my current trail bike.

More generally, fork and shock travel, no matter how much travel, is rubbish without decent damping. More is not always better nor a panacea. It can save you big $$ and weight if that is your thing. But note: the minute you start choosing forks that offer really good damping and damping controls, the price goes up.

100% dude. 160mm reference was more so that I could get some of that 66deg head angle action!

Plus. I am kinda a lardass. The beefier stanchions make me feel safer.