XT wont stop me or lock up.

Neg

Thanks so much! Gonna give it a go over the weekend.

:thumbup:

Just pay attention to what mojoman said and try not to push the free moving piston out too far by holding it in with something.

Good luck!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi also check your wheels are properly locked in tight under the quick release or through axle if they are not you will get a similar effect brakes working fine without a load on the bike but under load the wheels loosen up and the brakes slip or don't grip properly. My thru axle came loose 2 turns after clipping a rock in a recent race and I lost my back brakes after someone pointed out to me the Qr was open I tightened it and got my brakes back.

I used to have a VT and had 203 front and 180 rear. since then i have not had a bike that could stop like that. i am VERY slow up hill but when i do get going i need some braking power to stop my 115kg's.

these are the first Shimano Brakes i have had and so far not that impressed... but will give them a fair chance.

What is a Fair price for a set of XT's that has done 40km?

how does HOPE compare?

What is a Fair price for a set of XT's that has done 40km?

how does HOPE compare?

Current Xt's? Better than Tech X2's but not as reliable or fixable, xt also much nicer levers.

R1500-2000

think ill just stay with the XT's then... if i dont come right with what is on now, i will change out ot the bigger rotors and have the breaks serviced and that'll do it im sure! :) ??

If they are the current Xt's that are mamba brakes, one of the best value for money on the market. You don't really need the bigger rotors although they are nice that's probably not the issue (unless you are a big chap ie 85kg and up and going fast). Either needs a good bleed or a good clean of the rotor/pads/calliper and possibly new pads. :thumbup:

Well yeah, i am a big chap and i do go fast when i can... so do need all the help i can get..... ill give it a few more km's and see.... :)

Edited by Neg

Current Xt's? Better than Tech X2's but not as reliable or fixable, xt also much nicer levers.

R1500-2000

In your opinion? I have used both and Hope Tech X2 streets ahead in all categories.

In your opinion? I have used both and Hope Tech X2 streets ahead in all categories.

What categories are those? Do they also win on price? Every single review I have read rave about the latest shimano brakes from Deore on up. My SLX's are brilliant.

:thumbup:

Just pay attention to what mojoman said and try not to push the free moving piston out too far by holding it in with something.

Good luck!

Well it worked! But I let air into the lines.. That means a trip to the shop to be bled as I don't have the proper tools.

I had the current Slx brakes, which are virtually identical to the Xts and have the Hope Tech x2 Evo's at the moment. I'm happy with my Hopes though. What pads you use on yours?

But in comparison the shimano 1 finger levers are undoubtedly way better , power is just abut the same using the stock pads maybe slightly better on the Shimano's. Just the Shimano's have a tendency to leak, they can't be repaired and they are a little fugly. The Hopes are maybe a little more precise - when they lock they lock dead, modulation on the Shimano's is really nice though but they seem to get a little spongey near the end of the lever. Those are my estimations though, all subjective.

What categories are those? Do they also win on price? Every single review I have read rave about the latest shimano brakes from Deore on up. My SLX's are brilliant.

Have you ever tried Hope? Yes, they are more expensive but you only realise why once you have used them.

The Hopes are undeniably top shelf quality, the brakes are excellent but in usability they are not leagues above Xt's if at all. I like Hope stuff because it's not made to be disposable, I'll be able to service and rebuild them in 10yrs time, whereas the Xt's you throw in the bin if a seal leaks and you replace the entire lever or calliper, spares availability will also be spotty in just a few years time. Hopes are well above average in performance and first class in build quality.