XT wont stop me or lock up.

Neg

Well it worked! But I let air into the lines.. That means a trip to the shop to be bled as I don't have the proper tools.

All you need is a big syringe, some 2mm fish tank tubing, a little container of sorts, some allen keys and a size 7mm or 8mm spanner (forget the exact size)

Easiest brakes ever to bleed..

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hopes are undeniably top shelf quality, the brakes are excellent but in usability they are not leagues above Xt's if at all. I like Hope stuff because it's not made to be disposable, I'll be able to service and rebuild them in 10yrs time, whereas the Xt's you throw in the bin if a seal leaks and you replace the entire lever or calliper, spares availability will also be spotty in just a few years time. Hopes are well above average in performance and first class in build quality.

Spares availability is already an issue on the XTs. I've already had the rear brake (2012 XTs) replaced under warranty a few months back, the front brakes are now up for warranty replacement as well but Shimano will only have the parts (lever and calliper) available around mid December.

What happens is that the piston inside the lever gets stuck which leaves you with a wheel that wont turn. Bleeding the brake only fixes it for a couple weeks before it starts acting up again. Including myself I know 5 people that this has happened to. LBS told me the other day that there was a fault on the production line. I'm not sure how true this is though.

Wait till December for a spare on a run of the mill stock item like XT brakes from a giant like Shimano? Bs they/coolheat is just being pathetic so they save a bit on shipping costs, still thats weird, have you tried putting pressure on them?

I sold my SLX's right after a warranty replacement and got Hopes, only thing I really miss about the Shimano's are those awesome levers.

All you need is a big syringe, some 2mm fish tank tubing, a little container of sorts, some allen keys and a size 7mm or 8mm spanner (forget the exact size)

Easiest brakes ever to bleed..

The bigger 50mm syringe works great, costs about R12 a pop

Ok well that doesn't sound too difficult I guess. I'll ask a friend of mine as well if he could help me

Guest Latent Blue
I am 500% sure someone will soon suggest that you bleed them.

I would suggest that you find a loooooong downhill and apply the rear brakes for an extended period to 'burn' them in. Some of the braking compound on the pads has to rub off onto the discs for brakes to work properly.

Or it doesnt work en hy sien sy gat? :)

Wait till December for a spare on a run of the mill stock item like XT brakes from a giant like Shimano? Bs they/coolheat is just being pathetic so they save a bit on shipping costs, still thats weird, have you tried putting pressure on them?

I sold my SLX's right after a warranty replacement and got Hopes, only thing I really miss about the Shimano's are those awesome levers.

Pressure on what exactly, the lever? That just causes the pads to "bite" the rotor even more because it doesn't release that pressure. Oh, this is also worsened by heat, ie hot outside temperatures but not heat build up in the calliper and rotor.

Currently running with an Avid XX front brake in the mean time, what a crock of sh|t in comparison to the XTs. I found myself only using the rear brake to avoid using the XXs. :lol:

Hahaha no put pressure on your Lbs/shimano/coolheat to buck up and sort your brakes out!! In this world of global express shipping a big company like Coolheat must make you wait 2 months for warranty replacement?

Hahaha no put pressure on your Lbs/shimano/coolheat to buck up and sort your brakes out!! In this world of global express shipping a big company like Coolheat must make you wait 2 months for warranty replacement?

Hahaha. I'll get into contact with them and see what can be done.