Leopard activity continues on FNB W2W MTB routes

Claudio

Leopards photographed in the area the race passes through is interesting but not surprising and completely irrelevant in the context of the race. Hell, we even have hyena on the spruit.

Camera traps set up in the Rooiberg area by a CLT project showed leopards within 100 m of our house which confirms tracks and other signs of presence.

However, no leopard has been seen on the farm in living memory and they pose no threat to anyone.

I think it is wonderful to know that they are there and surviving despite us having encroached so severely on their territories and after trying to kill them off for hundreds of years. I also live in anticipation of one day bumping into one while riding the Cape mountain trails. That would equal a lot of other important things on my wish list. I would count it at least as amazing as the one time I was fortunate enough to surf with the dolphins off Blouberg.

Organised a race in the villiersdorp area last weekend, the one farmer told me of his workers seeing a leopard two weeks back. In the day nogal with their own eyes!

Organised a race in the villiersdorp area last weekend, the one farmer told me of his workers seeing a leopard two weeks back. In the day nogal with their own eyes!

I'm not surprised, I've walked and ridden extensively in the Sonderend Mtns, and there's lots of wilderness there. One of my favorite places.

My farm doesn't have any baboons on it, or in the forest reserve next to the farm, despite them being common in all area's around us, I've always wondered why, often when walking in the forest, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, autosuggestion maybe, but who knows.

The only sign we've found of a Leopard is a dead pig in a tree, and that was many years ago.

Is this seen as a good thing or bad? Not quite sure :P

I think it's great!

Edited by r0adrunner