DH Rims

Pittstop

Due to life butting in I can't get a complete wheelset at the moment and am looking now to get it in bits and pieces over then next couple of months.

Looking to be used as the alternate wheelset on my NS Soda for DH application. Will not be used too often as the main use for the Soda will be AM/Enduro type riding. Which means looking for a decent wheelset that will not break the bank. And I am a heavy rider at about 105kg, so strength will be one of the priorities.

So far have been looking at local options and looking at the following

Mavic EX721

Mavic EX729 (and I know about 823's but they about R600 more for a pair than these options)

Dartmoor Raider (not much info/reviews on these)

Spank Spike (35 EVO or 28 AL)

WTB Frequency i23/i25

Edited by Pittstop

A fellow Hubber tried to sell his Cotic BFe a while back (User = Edu).

Had Sun Ringle MTX33's. Those wheels looked bomb proof & have hardly been used. Maybe give the oke a shout?

He is in Jhb though :ph34r:

A fellow Hubber tried to sell his Cotic BFe a while back (User = Edu).

Had Sun Ringle MTX33's. Those wheels looked bomb proof & have hardly been used. Maybe give the oke a shout?

He is in Jhb though :ph34r:

Depends how much he wants. Just had to pass on a full wheelset as my car decided it needed the attention some more. Why I am looking to build up the wheels piece by piece.

Edited by Pittstop

Guest Omega Man

I have a set of ZTR flow rims that are never going to be used again. 600 ront for both?

not sure about price, and last i heard, availability was still a few weeks off, but keep the mavic EX 821s in mind. They are the 'cheaper', less colorful versions of the latest mavic enduro specific wheels., same way the 823s are the cheaper version of the deemaxes. At least the 821s have the interspoke milling, so they look pretty hot. but in black of course.

Guest Omega Man

but in black of course.

Black is the new black bru!

When my ENVE's throw in the towel (hopefully they won't sever a femoral artery when they do) I'll be on the lookout for cheap carbon DH rims. Ideas?

Edited by Omega Man

I've only read good things about the WTB Frequency i23 rims and that would be my choice of rim from the ones in your list. Unfortunately the local guys don't bring in a 26" option anymore as there is no market for 26" :thumbdown:

I have a set of ZTR flow rims that are never going to be used again. 600 ront for both?

I'm a little heavy to use Flows as DH rims (about 105kg). If I was I'd use the Flow EX rims I have on the bike at the moment. But thanks.

Guest Omega Man

I'm a little heavy to use Flows as DH rims (about 105kg). If I was I'd use the Flow EX rims I have on the bike at the moment. But thanks.

Ah. got it. For me it's got to be EX823. Those things are bomb proof. When I had them on my makulu if I flatted at tokai I'd just roll down the road on them to the carpark. I even did that little micro double on my roots with a flat. Only 1 ding i ever noticed.

Ah. got it. For me it's got to be EX823. Those things are bomb proof. When I had them on my makulu if I flatted at tokai I'd just roll down the road on them to the carpark. I even did that little micro double on my roots with a flat. Only 1 ding i ever noticed.

823's seem to be the ideal, but I can't justify that much on a wheel that might see use about 3-4 times a year..max

Hi I'm also looking for dh rims!I'm looking at either the spank spike evo 28 or the mavic 823.I'm only 72kgs so would it be better to go for the lighter spank evo or still go for the bomb proof mavic 823?shot

Black is the new black bru!

When my ENVE's throw in the towel (hopefully they won't sever a femoral artery when they do) I'll be on the lookout for cheap carbon DH rims. Ideas?

Now that even Patch is buying black rims this must be true :thumbup: