ATTACKS IN PTA EAST

JRH

Posted on the other thread going as well

• Members
  • 1 870 posts

• LocationCenturion

Posted Today, 10:08

Ok this is the feedback that I got this morning and thanks to Druffster for sending me the story

"Good day,

Director, please see complaint below for your urgent attention and handling, feedback to this office of your interventions taken on or before 28 October 2013. Please get in contact with the complainant.

JC Malan

A/ Deputy Chief of Regional Policing"

lets hope something good comes out of this

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reply from Crezane Bosch - I edite some unrelated (to this issue) out.

10/22, 8:54pm

Crezane Bosch

Hi xxx,

Sad to say, I never received any answers to my questions. I've raised them again at three different occasions during speeches in council, and we are now proceeding to submit it to council again. Whereafter we will bring in a motion.

10/22, 8:58pm

Crezane Bosch

I've submitted a petition earlier this year of which was resolved that the Department of Safety and Security will take measures to work together with the cycling body to patrol areas and assist with safety measures and that the department for city planning will bring in plans for cycling lanes for all newly developed future roads in our city. However this will have to be driven by the ward Councillors through their IDP plans. I will post more details on my personal page if and when I do receive answers by the Mayor.

Edited by Riaan Coetzee

The bikejack debate and general cyclist safety has been going on for some years. Still we see no improvement in the general trend ... and no comments it seems from authorities. The bike theft scourge is still alive and well!

The National Bicycle Registry was started about 3 years ago in response to two of my fellow cyclists being bike jacked ... I spent some time with SAPS forums after the event and discovered that law enforcement has a big problem when it comes to prosecuting perpetrators of bike theft [by any means] ... proof of ownership is in most cases not possible ... not to mention being understaffed and ill-equipped.

In addition, in cases where suspected stolen bikes were recovered [e.g. crossing our borders] there is no system to locate the original owner.

I thus started the Registry [free by cyclists for cyclists]. It proved itself when two bikes were recovered and traced [near Diepsloot]. The Registry is operated similar to motorized vehicle registration ... and its free to all cyclists.

If indeed the message goes out that stolen bikes can be traced and perps prosecuted we may well neutralize some of the motivation to steal ... and if this prevents even one bike jacking then I've achieved what I set out to do.

I have also canvassed bike shops and online 2nd hand bike dealers to check and track VIN numbers (frame numbers) when servicing or listing bikes ... and to visit the Stolen Bike list on the Registry. We cannot hold our breath hoping bike theft will go away ... we can and should look after our own.

Please visit www.bicycleregistry.co.za

Cycle registry site looks good, will add my bikes to list. i learned something with the explanation of the bike s/n in trivia.

Cycle registry site looks good, will add my bikes to list. i learned something with the explanation of the bike s/n in trivia.

Thanks Scotty! ... it also has a nice feature that helps you log and track maintenance events. I'll soon add the possibility to receive by email a .pdf "certificate" listing the registered bike criteria ...

Hey guys

Another update from Captain Steenkamp of Garsfontein Police, as an extract from today's meeting [this does not include everything that is planned at present]

2. Garsfontein Road vicinity Woodhill Shopping Centre.

Be aware that this is an unsafe area. Garsfontein police are aware of the situation but cannot patrol this particular section of Garsfontein road for 24 hours per day. Residents of the informal settlement Woodlane Village, between Woodhill Shopping Centre and Pretoria East Cemetery, are thought to be responsible for the high incidence of crime in this area. The residents of Woodlane Village are mostly immigrants from African countries and currently do not have access to water, sanitation or electricity while access to the area is almost impossible due to a lack of access roads.

Nick Pascoe suggested that the community should start an initiative to relocate the community of Woodlane Village to Plastic View where residents had access to basic infrastructure. Representatives of neighbouring communities agreed to arrange a meeting to discuss their options.

Got the same feedback as above. Saw the following as well that could assist in resolving the situation:

3. Tshwane Integrated Development Plan (IDP).

Nick Pascoe reported that the IDP made provision for the inclusion of crime prevention measures such as palisade fences and lighting. Communities with a need for crime prevention infrastructure should make their needs known to their respective Tshwane councillors.

He invited community representatives to a Garsfontein Road site meeting on Tuesday 29th October 2013. Participants would meet at 09:00 at the intersection of Garsfontein Road and Solomon Mahlangu (Hans Strydom) and would proceed from there to inspect part of Garsfontein Road in the vicinity of Woodhill Shopping Centre to consider the proposed installation of high mast lighting.

And another one. Despite being invited and agreeing to attend the SAPS failed and/or refused to pitch up.

post-4714-0-56540800-1382970347_thumb.jpg

Hey guys

Another update from Captain Steenkamp of Garsfontein Police, as an extract from today's meeting [this does not include everything that is planned at present]

Is the capture of the robbers on the cards. To patrol any area is not an effective crime prevention strategy, but is rather a crime relocation measure. If you patrol one area, they rob in another. The arrest of suspects and aggressive policing measures, such as random search and seizure operations, the identification and arrest of wanted criminal in an area, the installation of real/ dummy cameras, effective lighting and other crime prevention measures developed by means of environmental design proofed successful in a number of crime ridden areas in the past. Crime prevention in an area of about 4 square kilometers, populated only by a couple of squatters is a no brainer. Geographically, the squatter camp is smaller than the neighboring church!

Access to the squatter camp is not impossible. I drove into the squatter camp with my bakkie to drop a guy off that worked for me. The majority of the residents in the squatter camp are law abiding citizens, plagued by a few criminals in their midst. Isn't the SAPS's inability to apply effective policing in the area, the reason why the residents of the squatter camp took the law in their own hands, when they killed two suspected robbers about 4 weeks ago?

I am sorry, but the responses we get from the authorities and other people involved is simply not good enough.

sorry to be so blunt but I think that by now everyone should know and ackowledge that the gov and police aint gonna do anything

look at farmers being killed daily - nothing done why would they even think about bicycles being stolen

I am sorry to say but the townships deal with criminals ( not saying its right) but they know thats the only way something will be done. Maybe its inhumane but by know the least educated people have the understanding and knowledge to know that the only way to scare and deal with criminals is to do it themselfes.

So in two years , five years and seven years we will have this same discussion and hope that some one will listen , but the reality is , probably no one will and this will continue.

Got the same feedback as above. Saw the following as well that could assist in resolving the situation:

3. Tshwane Integrated Development Plan (IDP).

Nick Pascoe reported that the IDP made provision for the inclusion of crime prevention measures such as palisade fences and lighting. Communities with a need for crime prevention infrastructure should make their needs known to their respective Tshwane councillors.

He invited community representatives to a Garsfontein Road site meeting on Tuesday 29th October 2013. Participants would meet at 09:00 at the intersection of Garsfontein Road and Solomon Mahlangu (Hans Strydom) and would proceed from there to inspect part of Garsfontein Road in the vicinity of Woodhill Shopping Centre to consider the proposed installation of high mast lighting.

The crimes that concerns us, take place in daylight! If the people that deal with this are struggling to find effective measures to combat these crimes, please let me know. I have about 23 years experience in doing just that and never ever during the time that I caught crooks, did I patrol an area to prevent crime. I arrested the criminals!

Are there still policemen that gather information, do observation, interrogate suspects arrested in the area, search people in the area for weapons, identify wanted suspects, involve the community of the squatter camps to gain information and do all the other things that good cops do, or are they nowadays only patrolling the problems into submission? Or are any of the above-mentioned under the measures planned but not reported in this forum?

Is the capture of the robbers on the cards.

Isn't the SAPS's inability to apply effective policing in the area, the reason why the residents of the squatter camp took the law in their own hands, when they killed two suspected robbers about 4 weeks ago?

I am sorry, but the responses we get from the authorities and other people involved is simply not good enough.

It always is, but there are zero leads, last I heard.

As to the recent violence there... I'm unaware of the murder of two suspected robbers, but the guy that had his hands chopped off, he lost his hands because he moved into another gang's business. Two people were murdered there last week as part of friction between SAffers and citizens from neighbouring conutries.

As to the squatter camp in question, it's the one behind Woodlands that's the problem (as well as at the cemetary), not the one by the church so much.