PTA cyclist shot at

VeloErv

If I didnt have to take my daughter to creche everyday, I would love to cycle to work. My entire life I have been told I cant ride my bike or get a scooter cause it is too dangerous. I have now gotten to a point in my life where I dont care anymore. I just need some fesh air and sense of freedom for once in my frikkin life. I dont fear death anymore..I do fear rape though.. :(...

Living in the wrong province for that.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I didnt have to take my daughter to creche everyday, I would love to cycle to work. My entire life I have been told I cant ride my bike or get a scooter cause it is too dangerous. I have now gotten to a point in my life where I dont care anymore. I just need some fesh air and sense of freedom for once in my frikkin life. I dont fear death anymore..I do fear rape though.. :(...

Problem 1 solved ...

post-29544-0-64386800-1380130825_thumb.jpg

As far as problem 2, farked if I know. I'm actually re-evaluating my bike commuting with all these damn attacks in Pretoria at the moment ...

Okay so our NHW blockleader I spoke to said he'll definitely bring this up at Mondays' meeting with the police.

On top of this comes the thing about the dude having his hands chopped off, considering it happened at the same place.

Bianchi remember that there's TWO squatter camps in the area - Plastic view and the one by the cemetery ... somehow I think the cemetery one is involved in this ...

I used to cycle with a handgun, but stopped that (for various reasons, one being maintenance, another being comfort and also it's not necessarily the best option - slow to draw, awkward to handle if you're really out of breath etc etc etc) but still carry my knife ... I just don't know. These guys just shot at two cyclists, seemingly without provocation, and without asking them to give it up first ... that's what's getting to me mentally. If you see it coming, or you're in a situation where you actually have options, it's one thing, but this? Farked.

Problem 1 solved ...

As far as problem 2, farked if I know. I'm actually re-evaluating my bike commuting with all these damn attacks in Pretoria at the moment ...

Riaan, I will never cycle to work with my child on the back of my bike.. I would not be able to ride off road, and it is too dangerous for her to be in traffic. :(

Bianchi remember that there's TWO squatter camps in the area - Plastic view and the one by the cemetery ... somehow I think the cemetery one is involved in this ...

Yes. The cemetery one is called Woodlane Village.

They've had problems at both, but it will definitely be brought up at Monday's meeting.

I used to cycle with a handgun, but stopped that (for various reasons, one being maintenance, another being comfort and also it's not necessarily the best option - slow to draw, awkward to handle if you're really out of breath etc etc etc) but still carry my knife ... I just don't know. These guys just shot at two cyclists, seemingly without provocation, and without asking them to give it up first ... that's what's getting to me mentally. If you see it coming, or you're in a situation where you actually have options, it's one thing, but this? Farked.

Time to start riding with that "gat" again.

So it looks like there's something seriously messed up at those squatter camps now.

2 guys [squatters] were murdered there last night.

We spoke to one of the guys caught for the hand-chopping, and he said that the dude was sticking his fingers into their business (ie he was a burglar, and he tried his hand at hijacking, and they didn't like it). The journalists either hid that fact, or they didn't know.

It's like open gates now?

That's just plain lawless murderous thieves opening fire randomly on citizens with impunity. They appear to have no fear of repercussions.

I can see the financial reasoning - unprotected person on high value asset , isolated and with no means for escape. Sitting ducks man, society is not kif when cyclists become free for all open targets. I suppose this is the type of country we live in but riding your bike had a sense of freedom from the mess, they'll steal your car or Tv but not your bike WHILST YOU ARE ON IT.

Basically these guys are trying to shoot a cyclist off his bike to then go and pick the bike up once the rider is incapacitated?

That is a really serious state of affairs, this bike jacking has become a burgeoning issue, I've watched the reports growing all over the country over the last 15 months or so . The criminals now know the value of the bikes and obviously have a black market to sell them and now they are heightening their crime wave against cyclists. I wouldn't be surprised if a good few hardened car jackers are moving to bike jacking due to how easy it is and how little the police do. Much easier to move and hide a bike than a car, returns would probably be similar to the their committing a car jacking as a car jacked apparently only gets a R1000 or so for a car thief, the syndicate that moves the goods gets the majority of the money. Where are these bikes getting sold?

I wish the police would set up a task force to try resolve this, if only.

What a situation.

Welcome to Sodom & Gomorrah mate...

he journalists either hid that fact, or they didn't know.

Na watse kerk gaan die joernalis?

Ek se maar net ...

Druffster's helmet. :(

It was at about 18h50 on Thursday evening.

Guys, just stay away from the Garsfontein road between Mooikloof and Woodlands shopping centre.

I just noticed today after my morning ride that my helmet took a bullet from the back through to the front. 2 mm closer to my head and it would have hit my scalp.

Here is the image below. It went in through the left at the back of the helmet and out through the right at the top of the helmet...

post-35204-0-01929100-1382203729_thumb.jpgpost-35204-0-86172000-1382203729_thumb.jpgpost-35204-0-74417300-1382203730_thumb.jpg

Edited by Helpmytrap

That would have left me cold. That is angels looking out for you.

When it's not your time it's not your time.

Geez that just shows their intent, ****** ell!

What kind of merciless coward of a criminal shots you from behind like that.

Total liberty shot.

Another reason I just realized why bikes might be hot tickets for criminals now days is there's no logbook needed or central license/vin numbers database.

Once a bike is stolen only a tiny group of people will be able to accurately identify that actual bike as being stolen. Many people may not even have the means to legally show that a stolen bike does in fact belong to them, I have heard a few times of hat happening, a bike is found in others hands but the owner doesn't have proof to show he is the owner, ie proof of purchase with serial numbers listed etc, even though he knows it's his bike... Scaly.

The recommended way around that is putting a ownership document with your info etc down the seat tube or next to the crank inside the BB tube etc. Eventually once a stolen bike is sold on to the new possibly unknowing buyer, they will discover the bike is stolen property when doing routine maintenance, hopefully a reputable bike shop will do the service and pick it up and get hold of you.