Louis Meintjes Extends With Team MTN-Qhubeka

Claudio

Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung is proud to announce Louis Meintjes has extended his contract with the team. The silver medalist from the world championships will remain with the team through 2015. The announcement was made at a function at MTN South Africa headquarters in Johannesburg, Friday.

Click here to view the article

Guest DieBees

Only a matter of time before he gets taken by bigger Pro teams....

Bright future for this young chap!

Someone we can get excited about! Do you guys think it was a good choice to extend contract? I reckon he would have received an offer from bigger pro tour team anyway

A great talent. I think the fact that he is staying with MTN will do wonders for his racing development. Having the largely South African support team and other African riders in the team is massive and makes the transition that much easier.

I think if he joined one of the top teams now he may be sucked up and not allowed as much freedom (leadership role) as he has with MTN. He can develop good confidence with MTN.

This guy has a long and bright future ahead of him so why rush things.

A great talent. I think the fact that he is staying with MTN will do wonders for his racing development. Having the largely South African support team and other African riders in the team is massive and makes the transition that much easier.

I think if he joined one of the top teams now he may be sucked up and not allowed as much freedom (leadership role) as he has with MTN. He can develop good confidence with MTN.

This guy has a long and bright future ahead of him so why rush things.

You could also argue that the quicker he is sucked into a real euro pro setup the quicker the transition will be. The only way he will fade in a euro team is if he lacks mental capability. Something I thing this youngster has.

The MTN train got him this far , perhaps extending his contact with them is a bit of a thank you .

I'm sorry but if his decision to sign is based on an emotional "thank you" then his international career will probably end with MTN as well

I'm sorry but if his decision to sign is based on an emotional "thank you" then his international career will probably end with MTN as well

+ 1.

But maybe it's good to stay with a team like MTN for two more years to get seen, be a leader or a key-member of the team. Develop more and don't fade behind some big teammate superstar to be used as domestiqe or lead out. If you move to a big team too quick your talent might end up wasted.

But then again. Maybe he should have considered other offers. And take on the world, guns blazing.

+ 1.

But maybe it's good to stay with a team like MTN for two more years to get seen, be a leader or a key-member of the team. Develop more and don't fade behind some big teammate superstar to be used as domestiqe or lead out. If you move to a big team too quick your talent might end up wasted.

But then again. Maybe he should have considered other offers. And take on the world, guns blazing.

Also a good point! Let's hope the "cycling gods" favor this youngster

You could also argue that the quicker he is sucked into a real euro pro setup the quicker the transition will be. The only way he will fade in a euro team is if he lacks mental capability. Something I thing this youngster has.

Or he will get lost in the system and no offence to Louise but 1 race doesnt always make a career, team would look at what he has done all season before making decisions and how many points he has unfortunately.

MTN are a full Pro Conti team this is basically a Pro Tour Team but doesnt have the budget (yet) to buy a PT licence. They will ride the Tour next year.

There is nothing Non Euro or Non Pro set up with MTN.

He has been based in Europe for a few years already. I can remember him spending months at a time in Europe when he was part of the Developement / Academy Team.

Saw him in December, I just finished a 100km ride, he at that stage already did 4 hrs on the bike and said he had another 4 hrs to do. Still looked as fresh as can be.

This youngster is the real deal. (very modest to boot)