Hell and Back

Cacher

Note to myself*** don't climb swartberg pass with layers of clothes, worst rookie mistake.... ever!!!

Rain jacket (proper goretex one), plus arm warmers, plus cycling top & base layer vest ????

Edited by milky4130

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

finally back online.

Was a tough 2 days out there, I started cramping at about 30km on both days.

Thanks to James & James from Cape Town and Christo from Jozi for keeping me company, and to the guy in the orange rain jacket for sharing your USN cramp muti.

malcolm, just tell him the guy that kept riding away from Him on the downhills but kept huffing & puffing on the uphills sitting on his wheel. He dropped his asthma pump, I told

Him about immediately but he refuse To turn around for it. He most likely would've lost his 10th place overall to me had he done that :-)

Thanks Malcolm, will do. Hope to see you there again next year.

Thanks Malcolm, will do. Hope to see you there again next year.

For sure, will be on my to - do list each year now.

finally back online.

Was a tough 2 days out there, I started cramping at about 30km on both days.

Thanks to James & James from Cape Town and Christo from Jozi for keeping me company, and to the guy in the orange rain jacket for sharing your USN cramp muti.

Gees imagine it was a hot day? Well done for finishing under those circumstances.

Trained hard for race. Got a slight cold/throat infection the Monday. Decided at the end to go (from Cape Town). Morning of race fully dressed and wet at start, tried to clip right shoe into pedal, no luck. looked down and realised that on my left shoe is my MTB shoe and on the right is my roadbike shoe (both black and look the same).

Words will not describe my emotions.

Ending up exploring the Hell with the 4x4. Still suffering emotionally, will go for it next year.

What a bummer, sorry to hear about that, post pics of the 2 offending culprits :ph34r:

What a bummer, sorry to hear about that, post pics of the 2 offending culprits :ph34r:

To embarrasing. Painfull enough as is

Cant imagine eating a Spur Burger during the ride. I will probably throw up after about 500 meters down the road if I had to eat a burger and chips. Would have been nice as a lunch in the Hell at the end of stage 1 though....

spur burgers and lube station.

by the time I got here is was so full of cramps I decided to stop and have a relaxing lunch.

post-38473-0-04088100-1384846681_thumb.jpg

Also liked the idea of the race organisers providing water at the end of day 1 and at the last water point on day 2. Cant drink coke or any sweet stuff. Here in East London they mainly want to feed you fizzy cooldrinks. Terrible.

Those burgers were just what I needed on day 2. My body "soaked" it up "like a dry sponge" so to speak.... :-)

After giving the bike a good wash directly after the event, I yesterday took the chain and jockey wheels off, soaked in parafin and was schocked by the amount of gunk coming off...... Worse was when I ran a small magnet through it and saw the amount of stuff clinging to the magnet due to the metal shavings, which was most probably caused by the sand grinding away at the chain. Looks like a possile chain replacement now, as it definately stretched.

Anybody had anymechanical problems? Luckily I only suffered a puncture on day 2.

Would have been interresting to know how many bikes of each brand was there, as it was the first time I saw so many Giant bikes.

It was tough race, for myself at least, and if I was asked if I will go back, then the answer is yes, 'cause I have a score to settle with that mountain...... :-)