Tough conditions create turmoil at Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek

Claudio

Rain, mud and wind grabbed the full attention of the riders on Stage 1 of the 2013 Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek international mountain bike stage race in South Africa on Monday, but it was Brandon Stewart and Konny Looser of the FedGroup Itec team that grabbed the spotlight when they won the stage and took the overall lead.

Click here to view the article

Crazy conditions, I watched the highlights on Supersport last night.. getting through that stage must have been tough as nails.

I am happy for Brandon. He probably needs a good result. Don't see Buys and co recovering from a 10min deficit. At this stage smart money will have to be on the Kleynhans/Woolcock

I was thinking all those new XX1 groupsets ruined in one day and they still have 5 days to go .Middle field rode 7h plus .Last rider in 11h later .Some big names DNF ,like Nico Phitzenmaier.Spelling??

XX1 did not work well in the mud for me, although in its defence, that mud was insane and all components took strain!

Yesterday was toughest day I had on mtb...or so I thought until my rear derailleur hanger snapped with 20km to go today...Swartberg Pass on a 32 / 11 after 70km I decided was a lot tougher than a

bit of mud!!

Edited by McD23