Suspension oil alternatives?

Hardtailrider

Morning all - just wanted to find out opinions/experiences of using alternative suspension oils to those specified by RockShox or Fox. I recently serviced a RS Recon and Reba, as well as a Fox F120, using Putoline HPX oils of appropriate weights, without any grief so far. Any long-term experience out there? I've attached a couple of tables (Suspension - Comparative Oil Weights Table.pdfsuspension oils - graph.pdf) I used to pin down the nearest viscosities to the OE oils and kept to synthetic/semi-synthetic oils in an effort to avoid any problems with seal damage.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have the right idea. RS use Torco 7wt, Fox Green 10wt is Torco RSF Medium, and Fox Red 10wt is Silkolene Pro RSF 10wt. Silkolene's no good for open bath dampers though, because it's not a very good lubricant.

The best stuff to use is Redline, although I haven't found a local distributor yet.

You have the right idea. RS use Torco 7wt, Fox Green 10wt is Torco RSF Medium, and Fox Red 10wt is Silkolene Pro RSF 10wt. Silkolene's no good for open bath dampers though, because it's not a very good lubricant.

The best stuff to use is Redline, although I haven't found a local distributor yet.

So Droo ... do you sell Torco to the general public ... I have some DIY oil changes to do soon. I have something at home, must just check what it is again, from my last fork service.

So, where can we source these oils?

I also have a Recon and a Reba that will need an oil change soon.

Recon will get the full service, want to remove the travel reducing spacers as well.

From what I understand is that RS used to use Torco but switched to Maxima a while back. The Maxima Racing fork fluid is available from World of Accessories Motorcycle shops or online (R150 for 1L). I phoned the Torco distributor a while back and he informed me that they only import the engine oils and not suspension fluids into South Africa

I've used Castrol fork oil for ages. Back then it was R35 for 1L at a motor spares shop... will probably a lot more at a moto shop..

As per Frikkie, I have bought from to Motocross and motorbike shops before.

Likewise - I bought the Putoline HPX oils from a motorbike shop close to the Mall in Somerset West

So Droo ... do you sell Torco to the general public ... I have some DIY oil changes to do soon. I have something at home, must just check what it is again, from my last fork service.

No Torco in the country, working on getting some in though. Bel-Ray 5wt works pretty well in RS dampers and is readily available, as does Motul 5wt which can be found at Suzuki South. World of Accessories in Bellville stocks Maxima oils, although their range isn't amazing.

No Torco in the country, working on getting some in though. Bel-Ray 5wt works pretty well in RS dampers and is readily available, as does Motul 5wt which can be found at Suzuki South. World of Accessories in Bellville stocks Maxima oils, although their range isn't amazing.

Awesome thanks.

Mr Droo, What would you recommend for 15w? I see Cycles Africa brings Motorex 15w, R240 per liter, I will need to service a lot of forks before I kill a liter

Thanks Droo ... I have used the Bel-Ray before...worked well on my old Fox Float ... should / could I use this on the Fox Van 160 RC2?

Awesome thanks.

Mr Droo, What would you recommend for 15w? I see Cycles Africa brings Motorex 15w, R240 per liter, I will need to service a lot of forks before I kill a liter

For RS 15wt you can use a fully synthetic 15wt motor oil - it has nothing to do with the damper, it's just lubrication for the lowers. Motul makes a pretty decent one for less than half the price of the Motorex stuff.

Thanks Droo ... I have used the Bel-Ray before...worked well on my old Fox Float ... should / could I use this on the Fox Van 160 RC2?

Depends which bit. If you're doing lowers, a fully synthetic 10wt will be better - same reason as above. If you're doing the damper, Silkolene Pro RSF 10 is the way forward. It's what Fox uses, and I have buckets of it if you need. But beware - that FIT cartridge service is quite a procedure, and you'll need shaft clamps so you don't flatten the damper tubes.

For RS 15wt you can use a fully synthetic 15wt motor oil - it has nothing to do with the damper, it's just lubrication for the lowers. Motul makes a pretty decent one for less than half the price of the Motorex stuff.

Depends which bit. If you're doing lowers, a fully synthetic 10wt will be better - same reason as above. If you're doing the damper, Silkolene Pro RSF 10 is the way forward. It's what Fox uses, and I have buckets of it if you need. But beware - that FIT cartridge service is quite a procedure, and you'll need shaft clamps so you don't flatten the damper tubes.

Basic lowers = DIY

Damper service = A visit to STOKE with some beers when I collect or if I am allowed to watch ;)

Basic lowers = DIY

Damper service = A visit to STOKE with some beers when I collect or if I am allowed to watch ;)

Assisted labour usually runs at about 2x the price of normal labour. However, if you bring beer I'm sure we could come to an arrangement...