Suspension oil alternatives?

Hardtailrider

HVI is only for cartridge dampers, in an emulsion damper like the XX it'll foam and possibly wear out the inside of the stanchion tube.

Also, you'll want Magnatec 5wt in the lowers, unlike the 10wt it's fully synthetic so it won't swell seals. The viscosity is also almost an exact match for the RS 15wt and 0w30.

Ah crap, I've just used Bell-Ray 5wt fork oil for the Grip damper bath on a Fox Rhythm. Should I drain it and replace with say 5wt Motul synthetic fork oil?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah crap, I've just used Bell-Ray 5wt fork oil for the Grip damper bath on a Fox Rhythm. Should I drain it and replace with say 5wt Motul synthetic fork oil?

Bel-Ray 5WT should be ok, Fox use their PTFE 5WT because the oil in the damper and lowers is the same on the GRIP forks, and the damper oil bleeds into the lowers. 

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've decided to take the plunge and buy the service kit and do it myself. I've got the workshop book and stuff so I reckon I'll manage.

I hate to ask the same question that's been asked many times already, but because of my fear of getting it wrong, I'm going to double check.

Is the consensus that I should use a 15w fully synthetic oil for the lowers and Castrol Magnatec 5w30 for the damper? And Castrol Red Rubber Grease for the seals that need it.

Can you get 1l or 500ml bottles of the Castrol stuff? If so, where would you guys suggest that I look?

Nope. 5WT Bel-Ray for the damper, Magnatec 5WT for the lowers. If you use motor oil in your damper the fork will feel like a plank.

Bel-Ray 5WT should be ok, Fox use their PTFE 5WT because the oil in the damper and lowers is the same on the GRIP forks, and the damper oil bleeds into the lowers.

Thanks Droo, legend.

Nope. 5WT Bel-Ray for the damper, Magnatec 5WT for the lowers. If you use motor oil in your damper the fork will feel like a plank.

Wow, I'm glad I asked to clarify then.

So Synthetic Bel-Ray 5WT fork oil is roughly equivalent to Rockshox' 5wt oil. And the Castrol Magnatec 5W should do the same thing as the Rockshox 15wt that they suggest for the lowers?

And when you're talking about Magnatec 5W, are you talking about 5W30?

Thanks so much for the help, Droo

PS: Final dumb question, the fork service manual suggests 2 different types of grease - Liquid O-Ring military grease and Slick Honey Grease.

They aren't very clear about when to use which type of grease. The only time a specific type is mentioned is that they say that you must use Slick Honey on the insides of the dust seals. Does that mean that everything else should use Military Grease?

I've read some stuff about how Sram Butter/Slickoleum/Slick honey is the only grease you need inside a fork, is this true?

I've also seen Red Rubber Grease and Prep M mentioned a few times, where do they fit into the equation?

Sorry for all of the rookie questions, but everyone starts somewhere, right?

Also, if Sram Butter is the suggested route, where can I get some locally. Can't find any via google.

Edited by Craig Armstrong

Dust wipers come pre-greased. Ideally you should be using SRAM butter, but Red Rubber will do in a bind - it just isn't as slippery.

And yes, 5W30.

Dust wipers come pre-greased. Ideally you should be using SRAM butter, but Red Rubber will do in a bind - it just isn't as slippery.

And yes, 5W30.

Awesome, thanks so much for your valuable information.

Is SRAM Butter readily available in South Africa/Cape Town? The only shop that shows it online is Evobikes but they're out of stock (Not sure how long they've been out of stock for).

I move between Stellies and Blouberg so there's a lot of bike shops around, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction. Would BMT have?

I've always got, can't speak for anyone else though...

I wouldn't have asked if I knew you had :blush:

Will come past you when I have the chance.

You wouldn't happen to sell oils to the public too? Sorry, haven't been to your workshop before so I don't know the setup

I sell most things suspension related to anyone who asks - not in the business of keeping expensive dead dinosaurs to myself. Pop in, we have coffee and all the oil you can eat.

• 2 weeks later...

The other one that gets thrown around on the UK forums is Mobil 1. 

Best way is to check the datasheets.

Won't any 5w motor oil for the lowers work considering that the 5W is a viscosity rating?

Maybe match the hot temp rating of the castrol as well to be sure 5w40 or whatever the case is.

Won't any 5w motor oil for the lowers work considering that the 5W is a viscosity rating?

Maybe match the hot temp rating of the castrol as well to be sure 5w40 or whatever the case is.

%W is a very approximate viscosity rating. You'll need to check that the viscosity in cSt is in the same ballpark, which is where the datasheet comes in.

Also it needs to be fully synthetic and not have any seal-swelling additives so as not to damage any rubber bits inside.

%W is a very approximate viscosity rating. You'll need to check that the viscosity in cSt is in the same ballpark, which is where the datasheet comes in.

Also it needs to be fully synthetic and not have any seal-swelling additives so as not to damage any rubber bits inside.

Apparently only the oils sold as high mileage products will have the seal sweller additives, no 5W oil I've ever seen sold has been denoted as high mileage, normally its in the thicker oils designed to compensate for engine wear/reduced tolerances in old engines and seal sweller to likewise help old worn seals.

Granted the cSt rating on the data sheet is the final arbitrater of the viscosity but I would have thought 5w from any reputable manufacturer will have the same cold viscosity seeing that's exactly what the 5W is tested as and what vehicle manufacturers are relying on to be accurate?

Edited by Skylark

Apparently only the oils sold as high mileage products will have the seal sweller additives, no 5W oil I've ever seen sold has been denoted as high mileage, normally its in the thicker oils designed to compensate for engine wear/reduced tolerances in old engines and seal sweller to likewise help old worn seals.

Granted the cSt rating on the data sheet is the final arbitrater of the viscosity but I would have thought 5w from any reputable manufacturer will have the same cold viscosity seeing that's exactly what the 5W is tested as and what vehicle manufacturers are relying on to be accurate?

Go check the graph in the OP. The cSt @ 40° for 5wt ranges between 15 and 28. Castrol synthetic on the heavy side and Honda Pro on the light.