Adverse Analytical Finding returned during in-competition test

Claudio

Prednisone is often used in the treatment of Asthma and as an adjunct to therapy in chest and related infections - usually it is prescribed - so lets wait and see - maybe he forgot to get a TUE....

Drugfreesport has the following to say about it:

PREDNISONECategory: PROHIBITED in-competition only

Last Upated: Fri, 04 Jan 2013

Information

Prohibited substance: PREDNISONE - refer to section S9 (Glucocorticosteroids) of the WADA 2013 Prohibited List:

All glucocorticosteroids are prohibited when administered ORAL, INTRAVENOUS, INTRAMUSCULAR or RECTAL ROUTES.

Find out more and Search on wikipedia

So is it OK to use out of competition - say a few days before a race ?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, some say it is a PED and others say its quite the contrary, to the point it retards performance.

But, it was picked up in a test so there must be a reason for that.

If it was taken as a prescribed medicine he wont have to worry because he will have the paperwork and Doctor to validate this. If not, I hear the villagers with their pitchforks closing in

I will be holding back with my pitchfork. This is not a very hightech PED. Very common in treatment of many conditions - including skinrashes (even saddlesores). Let us just get a bit more info. All will be told.

Knowing Craig personally, and looking at the features of Prednisone & Prednisolone, I would speculate that his was an ingestion of an anti-imflammatory / decongestant / hemorrhoid medication that had these active ingredients, and not an attempt to gain an advantage though 'doping'.

The sad fact is that yoou may be right but 2 decades of dopers have made the general public rather deaf to I didn't do it/It was accidental/My mother chicken had cocaine in it pleas.

Whatever way you look at it - glucocorticosteroids benefit those taking them (illegally benefit).

I know Craig personally myself and 1st off he is new to mtbing and he has posted some very solid results like a top 10 at Sani for starters he is no fun rider and will ride 98% of this Hub off his wheel with 1 leg.

2ndly on this positive its medication which he was prescribed by a Dr. He has a hearing soon that he has to present evidence like TUE etc and from that the outcome will be whatever it will be.

3rdly You people on here are so quick to judge anyone "put him in jail" "ban him forever" BS and for what when there may be a perfectly honest explanation to this.

The products are also only banned in competition not out and dont have any major advantage and is used in a wide variety of medication that you get over the counter to treat rashes etc to name a silly example.

Edited by Sworks20

Drugfreesport has the following to say about it:

PREDNISONECategory: PROHIBITED in-competition only

Last Upated: Fri, 04 Jan 2013

Information

Prohibited substance: PREDNISONE - refer to section S9 (Glucocorticosteroids) of the WADA 2013 Prohibited List:

All glucocorticosteroids are prohibited when administered ORAL, INTRAVENOUS, INTRAMUSCULAR or RECTAL ROUTES.

Find out more and Search on wikipedia

So is it OK to use out of competition - say a few days before a race ?

Well - yes - BUT - in general, no doctor, myself included is going to care about a patients athletic events - we treat the patient as best possible - and ONLY if they ask, will we look up if it is in the prohibited list, and fill in the TUE doc.

NOT asking, and then not checking yourself (because it's public information) is ONLY the athletes responsibility.

No excuses. If it's on the banned list and you get caught with it, you're guilty. Lance also took stuff for saddle sores. Look where that has got him.

Unless you have a legitimate TUE, unlike Lance who got one after being caught.

I know Craig personally myself and 1st off he is new to mtbing and he has posted some very solid results like a top 10 at Sani for starters he is no fun rider and will ride 98% of this Hub off his wheel with 1 leg.

2ndly on this positive its medication which he was prescribed by a Dr. He has a hearing soon that he has to present evidence like TUE etc and from that the outcome will be whatever it will be.

3rdly You people on here are so quick to judge anyone "put him in jail" "ban him forever" BS and for what when there may be a perfectly honest explanation to this.

The products are also only banned in competition not out and dont have any major advantage and is used in a wide variety of medication that you get over the counter to treat rashes etc to name a silly example.

In this case its guilty until proven innocent - tests proved that he has a banned substance in his system.

If Craig produces a TUE dated prior to the test I will delete my posts and issue an apology but until then my pitchfork, tar and feathers attitude remains.

In this case its guilty until proven innocent - tests proved that he has a banned substance in his system.

If Craig produces a TUE dated prior to the test I will delete my posts and issue an apology but until then my pitchfork, tar and feathers attitude remains.

There is so much wrong in that way of looking at things in life it's not even worth a detailed response.

I wish you all the best in your poor narcistic life.

No excuses. If it's on the banned list and you get caught with it, you're guilty. Lance also took stuff for saddle sores. Look where that has got him.

No, Lance never took anything for a saddle sore. He has said it himself as he used it as a cover up.

There is so much wrong in that way of looking at things in life it's not even worth a detailed response.

We get it, he is your mate but you need to realize that he was caught with a banned substance in his system...Even if it got in his system by mistake / prescription it is what it is....

He can't plead innocence by ignorance because of the history that the sport has, I personally like the no tolerance approach in this matter.

I get the feeling this is a honest mistake on Craig's behalf.

Let hope he manages to get it sorted (and hope I am correct)

Science to Sport@science2sport12h

1/3 We are disappointed to learn that one of our coached athletes has failed a doping control. The circumstances appear to indicate an

Science to Sport@science2sport11h

2/2 inadvertent doping infraction after receiving medical treatment. We would like to remind all athletes to take due caution to check the

3/3 anti-doping regulations when taking medication as the sole responsibility rests with the athlete even when medicine

4/4 is prescribed by a medical practitioner.

We get it, he is your mate but you need to realize that he was caught with a banned substance in his system...Even if it got in his system by mistake / prescription it is what it is....

He can't plead innocence by ignorance because of the history that the sport has, I personally like the no tolerance approach in this matter.

I know him through work and other circles, he is not a mate like you would think. Yes I agree that it is on any athletes onus to know the system - never dispute that ever even if it was my wife in this situation but there was nothing malice or intentional here. That is what I am saying.

Oh. Have we descended into the insulting portion of the debate already? Ok - wait. Ummm you're a twat? I would have used a big word like you but twat was faster to type.

I see nothing wrong in my approach - they tested him, they found an illegal substance, he'll get a hearing, if he produces a TUE then tudah! Not guilty. Until then he is a just another rider taking a prohibited substance...

A 6 month ban will give him some time to download the banned list and read it a few times. At worlds last year I read it like the bible and was checking Super C labels (just in case).

No insult Eldron atall, merely telling you to enjoy your narcistic life that you are clearly showing in your posts again.

I know him through work and other circles, he is not a mate like you would think. Yes I agree that it is on any athletes onus to know the system - never dispute that ever even if it was my wife in this situation but there was nothing malice or intentional here. That is what I am saying.

Cool but you are speculating, you don't know absolutely that there wasn't intent...he will get his hearing and time to clear his name or not. Either way, lessons will be learned.

A wise man informed me once of the following...

" He is a fool who argues with a fool "

Thanks Dad, very wise words...

@ Eldron, take my dads words and apply in the instance.

Peter Pan...