Video of the Week - How to be a mountain biker

patches

Jassas, you have knee pads....you must be moer strong

Yes, this is the general impression and it's unfortunate, because whenever a person wears them it is assumed that they're "hard core", "moer strong" etc. I wear them primarily because I have bad knees.

Funny how added protection is seen as a sign of strength or ability.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, this is the general impression and it's unfortunate, because whenever a person wears them it is assumed that they're "hard core", "moer strong" etc. I wear them primarily because I have bad knees.

Funny how added protection is seen as a sign of strength or ability.

Bit confused, are you wearing knee braces then, cause I don't think pads will do anything for gammy knees. As I have it, they are intended to protect you from grazing / falls because of the terrain's inherent rough nature(rocks etc), not sure knee pads will do anything for ligaments and muscle fatigue

Bit confused, are you wearing knee braces then, cause I don't think pads will do anything for gammy knees. As I have it, they are intended to protect you from grazing / falls because of the terrain's inherent rough nature(rocks etc), not sure knee pads will do anything for ligaments and muscle fatigue

Depends on the type of pad. I've come off before during a race wearing a hard shell knee pad that protected from ligament damage in a big way.

and... I've come off before in a practice run with a normal soft shell and ended up hurting quite bad.

These days with technology a good pad will have that impact foam that hardens on impact to help protect against this.

Just make sure you wear the correct ones. The basic ones however will protect against losing skin and cutting up the knee like you said.

If I take a minor hit on my knees I end up out of action for weeks. Knee pads prevent this from happening which is the difference between me riding after a fall or not.

I'm not sure what the problem is with my knees, I lived with the issue since childhood and I'm fine as long as I don't knock 'em against things.

Depends on the type of pad. I've come off before during a race wearing a hard shell knee pad that protected from ligament damage in a big way.

and... I've come off before in a practice run with a normal soft shell and ended up hurting quite bad.

These days with technology a good pad will have that impact foam that hardens on impact to help protect against this.

Just make sure you wear the correct ones. The basic ones however will protect against losing skin and cutting up the knee like you said.

I use Rockgardn Neo's. They've saved me many times.

Kevlar outer bit, with hard shell and thick foam padding on the inside of the cap and sides. I've heard 661's are also good.

http://www.pricepoint.com/_productimages/960x600/536_gdnne0_0.jpg

Edited by Corvus

I use Rockgardn Neo's. They've saved me many times.

Kevlar outer bit, with hard shell and thick foam padding on the inside of the cap and sides. I've heard 661's are also good.

I run the Leatt 3DF ones for enduro and general riding. Great fit and good protection. Not that durable though.

Heard good things about all the Rockgardn kit. Will try them next. 661 is also very cool.

If I take a minor hit on my knees I end up out of action for weeks. Knee pads prevent this from happening which is the difference between me riding after a fall or not.

I'm not sure what the problem is with my knees, I lived with the issue since childhood and I'm fine as long as I don't knock 'em against things.

Ah ok so it is for protection from knocks / falls instead of use...gotcha.

I must admit though, I struggle with the term all mountain biking...all the other disciplines are quite defined. I am being sincere when I say I don't have a cooking clue what / how / where all mountain biking is.

I must admit though, I struggle with the term all mountain biking...all the other disciplines are quite defined. I am being sincere when I say I don't have a cooking clue what / how / where all mountain biking is.

To me, it's about being able to cover all terrain that is associated with MTB on a single bike.

To me, it's about being able to cover all terrain that is associated with MTB on a single bike.

great and simple answer. Is that the general consensus. So its almost like the jack-of-all trades, master of none discipline

...and if you make mention of it, it is assumed that you have a chip on your shoulder.

No, mate, I really don't have a chip on my shoulder. I'm simply pointing out what I've perceived with a healthy dose of embellishment. I admire XC riders, they're way faster and fitter than me, but the type of riding is not for me.

Mate - you have the wrong bikeshop... mine keeps trying to sell me flat pedals and a 26er... or a jump bike, or a DH bike or some such...

great and simple answer. Is that the general consensus. So its almost like the jack-of-all trades, master of none discipline

EXACTLY!

Jumps and descends better than XC, but not as well as DH

Climbs and coveres distance better than DH, but not as well as XC

Mate - you have the wrong bikeshop... mine keeps trying to sell me flat pedals and a 26er... or a jump bike, or a DH bike or some such...

and you still don't take the hint?

yeah.

I stand under correction but I see it somewhere between XC and downhill. The bikes have more suspension that XC bikes and less suspension that downhill. Head angles are more relaxed than XC but less that downhill.

I've heard it described as the sort of bike that you can use to get up a steep mountain as well as ride down it, with some speed.

Having said that I also don't think it's higher than XC (as in I'm too good for XC) and lesser to DH.

it's a separate style, albeit somewhat vague. I call myself a trail or AM rider because I like the variety.

EXACTLY!

Jumps and descends better than XC, but not as well as DH

Climbs and coveres distance better than DH, but not as well as XC

Well that seems simple enough...so if I have it right, its not bike specific its basically a mixture of all the recognized diciplines

DH

XCM

XCO

So its almost like the jack-of-all trades, master of none discipline

This is probably the best explanation.

Per implication AM is about being the slowest guy on the XC track as well as the downhill track, but at least enjoying them both :)

Edited by Corvus

This is probably the best explanation.

AM is about being the slowest guy on the XC track as well as the downhill track, but at least enjoying them both :)

But the focus seems to be on doing a mixed bag of both in a ride...yes?