Volvo introduces world-first Cyclist Detection with full auto brake

Claudio

Volvo has introduced its revolutionary cyclist detection system to go hand-in-hand with its pedestrian detection and auto braking systems. The system incorporates full auto braking that automatically brakes if a cyclist swerves out in front of the car. This should be of particular interest to South African cyclists - finally we have a car on our side!

Click here to view the article

On a golf tour in Ireland, Tiger Woods drives his Volvo into a petrol station in a reamote part of the Irish countryside. The attendant at the pump greets him in a typical Irish manner completely unaware of who the golfing pro is.

-"Top of the mornin' to yer, sir" says the attendant

Tiger nods a quick hello and bends forward to pick up the nozzle. As he does so, two peggs fall out of his shirt pocket onto the ground.

-"What are dey den, son?" asks the attendant.

-"They're called peggs" replies Woods.

-"Well, what on de good earth are dey for?" inquires the Irishman.

-"They're for resting my balls on when I'm driving", Woods says.

-"Feckin Jeysus", says the Irishman, "Dem boys at Volvo tink of everything!"

Not really ideal if there is a car tailgating the Volvo, like many of our road users do. It might prevent a collision with a cyclist but it might create one from behind with another vehicle.

That being said, I'm sure Volvo would have some measure in place to prevent that.

Surprising the lack of enthusiasm for this on a CYCLING FORUM!!

Its a fantastic innovation that would save many lives if it was on all new cars, which I reckon it will be (one day).

Edited by dracs

Not really ideal if there is a car tailgating the Volvo, like many of our road users do. It might prevent a collision with a cyclist but it might create one from behind with another vehicle.

That being said, I'm sure Volvo would have some measure in place to prevent that.

Yes they do. You can switch it off.

Sat in the car at the Cycle Fair. Very nice although I dont like the centre console. Looks to much like a Saab but the rest I like.

I think that most users will switch it off because with the amount off cars (especially taxi's) that push in front off you it must be very frustrating to drive and it will take forever to get to work.

I think that most users will switch it off because with the amount off cars (especially taxi's) that push in front off you it must be very frustrating to drive and it will take forever to get to work.

My XC60 has the earlier version with auto brake for cars etc and I assure you it has never activated in these circumstances and I fight Witkoppen mayhem every morning! It only steps in when it comes to a conclusion that a crash is inevitable and you have not reacted.

I actually did have it activate once which was initially very confusing! Rushing somewhere I steemed up to a parking which had overgrown foliage at windscreen height. The deceleration is brutal and instant. Didn't know what had happened at first then figured I would have made contact with the light brush and the car would just know we were going into an object - not that it was to be a soft landing.

How will it respond when you pull in behind this?

http://images04.olx.co.za/ui/19/19/41/1378802722_303721841_6-Trailer-Hire-at-WP-Trailer-Rent-Bellville-Durbanville-Cape-Town-Western-Cape.jpg

How will it respond when you pull in behind this?

http://images04.olx.co.za/ui/19/19/41/1378802722_303721841_6-Trailer-Hire-at-WP-Trailer-Rent-Bellville-Durbanville-Cape-Town-Western-Cape.jpg

How do you spell "WTF" in Swedish?

How do you spell "WTF" in Swedish?

WTFükkönen

Oh wait, that's Finnish.

Luckily this is not mine!