Paarl Leaque's kamakazi commisaire!

mp321

It would be GREAT to get full road closure' date=' please get it organised for us!  I still have the feeling it is easier to get it for a single tour like the Tour de Boland than it is for seven league rides.  If not, then please get involved GL.

On the other hand it is amazing how two groups do a ride and have a completely different experience.  In sub-vets we had the comms who drove behind us and came up to the riders who crossed and talked to them.  They quickly moved back and after that it was pretty much guttering on the white line until the wind direction changed.  I still don't know why the Elits struggle with it so much.  If you don't have full road closure (even if you don't agree with it!) don't cross the line. It might be a stupid rule, but it is the rule.  Otherwise you will get the same cancelled ride week after week...
[/quote']

do not take it personally or see it as a fight but I think the Elites has a bit more racing involved than SV. I think with the racing being faster and more unpredictible it is more difficult to control the race....personal opinion on that.

...and that is why they can't obey rules? In every sport there are rules and you have to obey them. I do realize the racing is more hectic, bu t do it within the rules. Do you want to see a rider die before the white line rule sinks in?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

racing heart - yep' date=' maybe people who can't abide by rules shouldn't race - that would certainly help makes things much safer for those who can abide by the rules.

[/quote']

The term is RACE!!!! so if you race you use the whole road because of swelling and gutters and other tacital NECASSARY reasons...

So let my translate that in Rugby terms since the average South african actually understands it..Rugby players use the whole field they dont dodge spectators and motorbikes driving around on the field.So competive/proffesional cyclist shouln't have to too

Strange. I always thought that rugby fields had white lines and the game was only allowed to be played within them. Analogies, like fights, should be chosen carefully.Smile

Racing Heart' date=' I like the way you dream.  I also dream of being a racer in Europe. 

Unfortunately they have a completely different cycling culture to us where cyclists are respected and appreciated.  Here we struggle to get any respect as we suffer from the South African disease of entitlement.  We believe we own the road and we fight it out with the cars.  Ignoring rules negotiated with traffic authorities (who often don't like us!) will only kill cycling.  Not make it like Europe.  We have to work with what we have.

Just saying we all have to wake up only alienates the people you look down on (fun-riders, as you call them).  Insults never really help to convince people of your opinion, but then again maybe you don't want to convince anyone, just fight?
[/quote']

thats where I believe your wrong!!! cycling is a huge sport in South africa! We have the biggest cycling events on entries in the worlds..nothing elsewhere touches that..apart from a race in italy that attract an odd 20 000.. look how many races we have attracting 10 000+ entrants. We should just focus on getting cycling spectator friendly and to once again seperate a race from an fun ride becuase presently its not working to have an all in one event. it just creates massive logistical problems..

and the term fun rider is not an insult  at all they do it for the fun of it, don't they??..and for what ever reason from leading a more healthier lifestyle to doing something social.

racing hart, you are right about that one event - but look about the general picture of the bicycle in SA and in Europe. In countries like belgium, the netherlands and germany the bicycle is a big part of daily traffic in cities and around. often there's bicycle lanes and bikes are usually resprected. people are used to share the roads with cyclists and generally the cyclist has the right of way.

cycling is a huge sport in SA, yes, but motorists don't respec thtem on the road - they ar ealmost an alien on the road.

Racing Heart' date=' I like the way you dream.  I also dream of being a racer in Europe. 

Unfortunately they have a completely different cycling culture to us where cyclists are respected and appreciated.  Here we struggle to get any respect as we suffer from the South African disease of entitlement.  We believe we own the road and we fight it out with the cars.  Ignoring rules negotiated with traffic authorities (who often don't like us!) will only kill cycling.  Not make it like Europe.  We have to work with what we have.

Just saying we all have to wake up only alienates the people you look down on (fun-riders, as you call them).  Insults never really help to convince people of your opinion, but then again maybe you don't want to convince anyone, just fight?
[/quote']

thats where I believe your wrong!!! cycling is a huge sport in South africa! We have the biggest cycling events on entries in the worlds..nothing elsewhere touches that..apart from a race in italy that attract an odd 20 000.. look how many races we have attracting 10 000+ entrants. We should just focus on getting cycling spectator friendly and to once again seperate a race from an fun ride becuase presently its not working to have an all in one event. it just creates massive logistical problems..

and the term fun rider is not an insult  at all they do it for the fun of it, don't they??..and for what ever reason from leading a more healthier lifestyle to doing something social.

Yes, and we do have road closure for the Argus. But the Argus and all your other 10 000+ road races aren't really the same as the league race of today, is it?

Chris H:ah you still dont get it they dont have to make tactial sacrifices to their game plan because of things reasons that in someway coulg be similar to this?? they play their game and thats that they don't need to worry about something else other than the game.. competive cyclisit should also only be worried about their race Racing Hart2008-02-17 13:01:18

well a league race is sussposedly to be more a "prestige" event than races like the argus. so road closure even if it is Rolling but as long as its effective is needed!!

Chris H:ah you still dont get it they dont have to make tactial sacrifices to their game plan because of things reasons that in someway coulg be similar to this?? they play their game and thats that they don't need to worry about something else other than the game.. competive cyclisit should also only be worried about their race

The road can stop at the white line or the right hand gutter. What's the difference? Safety stops at the white line, that's the difference. The rules say you may not go over the white line for a reason.

You have to work with what you have, and what you have is a road that is a little narrower than you would prefer, deal with it like an adult not as a petulant child would. When your money runs out at the end of the Month you don't go out and break the rules by robbing someone to get some more. Ditto with the white line, don't break the rules because you have run out of allowable road to use.

Bottom line is, if you don't like the rules don't play the game. And don't ruin my chances of having a game to play in the future by getting yourself killed.

I have to agree with Chris H . Just see the white line being start of the gravel . You want to go onto gravel fine get your bike trashed ! IF you got road closure and you had to go down a narrow road would you ride on the pavement ? i think not .

still one the white line bwahaha what a joke!! still you don't understand why a racing bunch cant stay left of the white lineGeek.

Rolling road closure? For whihc group. Just the Elites? or the vets, juniors ladies and whole funride? after all the entry is the same on the day for all!

I wonder what the RACING would be like without all the pathetic "funriders". Who subsidizes who?

While I understand the emotive nature of this thread I cannot believe the absolute arrogance displayed by some hubbers (I wonder if I am even worthy to post in such company!!!!).

Of course being a "Funrider" who only rides for fun and NEVER races or has the slightest clue what RACING even feels like, I don't actually know if I am even allowed to post on ths thread.

I agree, from reading the comments, that the comms actions were dangerous, but also agree that the Elites should have been DQ'ed (this is such an old debate, surely they should have learned by now)

I have an even better suggestion. Why don't all the obviousely pathetic league and A-Z "funriders" boycott the races and see how successfull the Elite races are.

Ok A-Zee,

Vets, sub vets and league

Altogether now, say with me

We're not worthy, We're not worthy !!!!Wink

(By the way, thankfully not all Elites act like prima donna's!!!

Mmmm I wonder if this is what Rookie101 was going on aboutBig%20smile)

And here I was slaving away on the IDT and on the road, moving from Z upwards as fast as possible, eating rabbit food to shed the extra kilos, bonking on the "FUNRIDES" just for fun etc, etc with my sights fixed on trying to get to RACE in leagues in 2009 (yep, still a long way but I also have a long way to go). WHAT WAS I THINKING !!!!!!

That's not RACING - only Elites race - the rest do it for fun only!!! (sorry to pop your bubble WH, BMC FAN, Colonel etc etc - your're not racing according to some !!! Why would I wan't to ride leagues then?)

????!!!!!!!AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
racman2008-02-17 15:19:53

Clap

I wonder what the RACING would be like without all the pathetic "funriders". Who subsidizes who?

While I understand the emotive nature of this thread I cannot believe the absolute arrogance displayed by some hubbers (I wonder if I am even worthy to post in such company!!!!).

Of course being a "Funrider" who only rides for fun and NEVER races or has the slightest clue what RACING even feels like' date=' I don't actually know if I am even allowed to post on ths thread.

I agree, from reading the comments, that the comms actions were dangerous, but also agree that the Elites should have been DQ'ed (this is such an old debate, surely they should have learned by now)

I have an even better suggestion. Why don't all the obviousely pathetic league and A-Z "funriders" boycott the races and see how successfull the Elite races are.

Ok A-Zee,

Vets, sub vets and league

Altogether now, say with me

We're not worthy, We're not worthy !!!!Wink

(By the way, thankfully not all Elites act like prima donna's!!!

Mmmm I wonder if this is what Rookie101 was going on aboutBig%20smile)

And here I was slaving away on the IDT and on the road, moving from Z upwards as fast as possible, eating rabbit food to shed the extra kilos, bonking on the "FUNRIDES" just for fun etc, etc with my sights fixed on trying to get to RACE in leagues in 2009 (yep, still a long way but I also have a long way to go). WHAT WAS I THINKING !!!!!!

That's not RACING - only Elites race - the rest do it for fun only!!! (sorry to pop your bubble WH, BMC FAN, Colonel etc etc - your're not racing according to some !!! Why would I wan't to ride leagues then?)

????!!!!!!!AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
[/quote']

ClapClap Well Said RacmanThumbs%20Up

Clap

Of course being a "Funrider" who only rides for fun and NEVER races or has the slightest clue what RACING even feels like' date=' I don't actually know if I am even allowed to post on ths thread.

[/quote']Agreed.

I feel out of my depth here, but the issue seems to be very clear. If there is a rule, and that rule is enforced, then breaking the rule will have consequences.

IMO, if the white line rule applies, then technique and strategy should be altered to comply with the rule.

To use Racing Hart's analogy, if you feel like throwing forward passes in a rugby match will help to score a try quicker, don't get upset when you give away a free kick to the other team. If you can't abide by the rule, perhaps you'd be better off playing American football and not rugby.