Commuting in work clothes?

Spidermonkey

Under no circumstances should you commute in clothing you plan to spend the rest of the day in!

I can. And often do. But then I live a flat 5 minute ride away from work, so if I'm really careful and ride my MTB SS I can get there without being a sweaty mess. Mostly.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride in work pants and shoes, and a t-shirt. Granted in summer sometimes I'm a bit sweatier than I'd like to be, but most of it is on the home-leg when there's still a good amount of sun left at the time I ride. In rain I'll either wear rain-pants, or if it's raining in the morning I'll just wear shorts and some other pair of shoes.

I've also got no issue with dialing it back a few notches and spinning it nice and easy so I don't work up a lather.

I'll never wear proper cycling togs - I do not want to be associated at all with roadies or racers of any kind.

You already do by riding a bicycle. ;)

I can. And often do. But then I live a flat 5 minute ride away from work, so if I'm really careful and ride my MTB SS I can get there without being a sweaty mess. Mostly.

In a couple of weeks I will be 900m from work. Looking forward to a 5 minute ride in the mornings vs the 30 minutes in a cage I spend now.

In a couple of weeks I will be 900m from work. Looking forward to a 5 minute ride in the mornings vs the 30 minutes in a cage I spend now.

So - that should take 90 seconds on a bike... are you planning on getting lost, or having coffee en route? :)

So - that should take 90 seconds on a bike... are you planning on getting lost, or having coffee en route? :)

Having coffee at Fairy Goth Mother before work in the mornings haha.

Practicing track stands all the way

I ride in padded MTB baggies that look like shorts and a normal t-shirt most of the time. OK, I wear a helmet and Camelbak too, and proper MTB shoes.

My commute is 21km each way, so riding at no-sweat speed would take me all day. I ride hard, ride fast and suffer from SCR. Any cyclist ahead becomes a target and must be passed. I know, I have a problem. :oops:

My commute is 10 hilly km's each way, and I have the same problem as you, only time I slow down is at a red robot. I also suffer from SCR. I'm soaked when I get to work.

Practicing track stands all the way

More like practicing pushing.... we know he can't track stand for toffee.... :)

Although I own bibs/jerseys etc, I find it more comfortable to commute in nylon shorts, nylon T-shirt and sneakers. These dry very quickly.

As part of my commute used to include the Gautrain I wore nylon shorts and T shirts and Shimano SPD commuter shoes.

I found that smell of the twice daily sweating was very difficult to wash out of my commuting clothes so I wore R80 shorts and shirts from Mr Price and replaced them every six months.

• 7 years later...

I suppose that is the downside, especially if one suffers from BO and has a long Ride to the office! I've commuted in work travis scott best clothes several times, and it's not actually that bad. Granted, I leave early and only do about 10km to work. The great part is not having to mess around with a change of clothes and find a place to hang up the riding gear. I also tried to cycle at 'no-sweat speed' when possible!

I like your opinion

Although I previously despised of e-bike riders, I've seen the light and now commute to the office on an e-bike. Not only do you get a reasonable workout, without sweating (much), no more need for additional clothes, shower at the office etc. :)

Haters be hating, including me when I'm on my mtb or roadbike but for every commute, e-bike FTW! :)

Although I previously despised of e-bike riders, I've seen the light and now commute to the office on an e-bike. Not only do you get a reasonable workout, without sweating (much), no more need for additional clothes, shower at the office etc. :)

Haters be hating, including me when I'm on my mtb or roadbike but for every commute, e-bike FTW! :)

Getting hot here in the mornings ..... on the ebike I get to work faster, and with almost zero sweat.  Wipe down with a damp cloth and I am ready for work.

On my commuter (non e-bike) I build up a decent sweat in summer .... perfectly fine in winter though.

This week my commuting distance is actually more than my trail distance of last weekend ....

• 9 months later...

Hi Hubbers.

So been contemplating commuting to work as its only 5 km away from home, well its more because I got fat and I need to make a plan now. I normally go home for lunch so its going to be 4 trips in a day, just want some advice on how to do this? My work wear would normally be long pants,(jeans or cargo) cotton shirts and boots so what would be the best clothes to wear?

Now I cant shower at work, so  will it be realistic changing 4 times a day is just to ride up and down? Other question is what do you do if you carry a laptop? I can leave it in my office but I like working at night so I do have it with me every day.

What bike would you guys suggest, road bike or MTB?

Thanks

Edited by Bomberman

41 minutes ago, Bomberman said:

Hi Hubbers.

So been contemplating commuting to work as its only 5 km away from home, well its more because I got fat and I need to make a plan now. I normally go home for lunch so its going to be 4 trips in a day, just want some advice on how to do this? My work wear would normally be long pants,(jeans or cargo) cotton shirts and boots so what would be the best clothes to wear?

Now I cant shower at work, so  will it be realistic changing 4 times a day is just to ride up and down? Other question is what do you do if you carry a laptop? I can leave it in my office but I like working at night so I do have it with me every day.

Thanks

For 5km I would not even bother changing out of work wear. 
Laptop can go in a backpack. 

Just have a comb or whatever stashed at the office to sort out the helmet hair. 

5 hours ago, Bomberman said:

Hi Hubbers.

Thanks

I was in a similar situation with a 3km commute and tried riding to work a bit. In my experience, it wasn't worth it. It's a downhill to work for me, so I found I could get to work with minimal sweat as long as I rode really easy. Left my laptop and some shoes at work and just carried pants and a shirt with me, or just rode in my work clothes. 

In my experience though, it really wasn't worth it. It was never really good for training, and added a bunch of admin and time to my routine for no real advantage (I have no traffic to contend with though). It made much more sense to just drive home for 5 minutes and go for a proper training ride.