Hope Brake Appreciation Thread

patches

Update on my corroding calipers. Today the DOT fluid finally squirted out of a hole caused by the corrosion. Pissed everywhere. I've sent them to be ground and welded because I like these brakes but I can't get spares in Covidville. Hopefully can get them up and running again.

IMG_4514.HEIC

Edited by Pipsqueak

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Pipsqueak said:

Update on my corroding calipers. Today the DOT fluid finally squirted out of a hole caused by the corrosion. Pissed everywhere. I've sent them to be ground and welded because I like these brakes but I can't get spares in Covidville. Hopefully can get them up and running again.

IMG_4514.HEIC 727.88 kB · 11 downloads

hectic ???? , hope that's the last time you have to think about them (ps  pun not intended) ( pps I barely saw the pun before posting ????)

• 8 months later...

Update... Now my second caliper has dissolved. I'm gutted because I really like these brakes and I spent a lot of money on them. Ironically I dug out a 10 year old set of Shimano Deores and bolted those on. Still work as well as Shimano brakes can. What a pity. I emailed Hope and they aren't interested in my story. Told me not to ride on tar roads when they've been salted. Durban - ya right.

A word of advice... take your calipers off every six months and clean them. Try sealing them or polishing/sealing the undersides. I think once the thin anno has been scratched, they just corrode like crazy.

IMG_8430.jpg

IMG_8432.jpg

1 hour ago, Pipsqueak said:

Update... Now my second caliper has dissolved. I'm gutted because I really like these brakes and I spent a lot of money on them. Ironically I dug out a 10 year old set of Shimano Deores and bolted those on. Still work as well as Shimano brakes can. What a pity. I emailed Hope and they aren't interested in my story. Told me not to ride on tar roads when they've been salted. Durban - ya right.

A word of advice... take your calipers off every six months and clean them. Try sealing them or polishing/sealing the undersides. I think once the thin anno has been scratched, they just corrode like crazy.

IMG_8430.jpg

IMG_8432.jpg

Hope are machined from billet, from what I understand the kind of thing that's happened to your calliper should only happen on cast aluminium where the porosity can allow contamination like salt in and the expansion from corrosion can cause cracks and catastrophic failure.

3 minutes ago, Skylark said:

Hope are machined from billet, from what I understand the kind of thing that's happened to your calliper should only happen on cast aluminium where the porosity can allow contamination like salt in and the expansion from corrosion can cause cracks and catastrophic failure.

Times 2. Both of the undersides of the calipers just flaked away and eventually DOT fluid just started squirting out. Game over. I've had the brakes just over 2 years.