Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

Stocked dam?

I have fished underberg up through the berg and there were a few stocked ponds where the fish would move out of the way of flies in their path. 

Pellet fed fatties werent interested in flies.

Nabbed a few though by using two DDD's on an intermediate line and a few quick jerks, trout thought they were pellets and I was in like flint.

Ja stocked but not fed.

Think there was to much around for them to eat

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dullstroom over the holidays. 2.4 kg's. Now to get into a river. Next challenge is to go down to Rhodes later in the year. Any suggestions on how to go about learning to fish rivers. Have a 1 wt as well as a 2/3 wt to start with.

post-3624-0-25560300-1452087636_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Plentipotential

Dullstroom over the holidays. 2.4 kg's. Now to get into a river. Next challenge is to go down to Rhodes later in the year. Any suggestions on how to go about learning to fish rivers. Have a 1 wt as well as a 2/3 wt to start with.

I would recommend getting hold of Fred Steynberg first of all.

Ask his advice over when to fish Rhodes, because it is somewhat weather and rainfall dependant. I believe the best time is April and May, but I'm no expert on that area. I would also book Fred for at least the 1st days fishing because he is an incredibly knowledgeable guide and will get you fish much sooner than if you try and figure the unfamiliar streams out yourself. Even old hands will still learn new tricks from Fred. He grew up there and knows every rock like the back of his hand. He's also fished and guided all over the world, so he knows how to guide. Afterwards you can fish on your own for a few more days. Rhodes has hundreds of kilometres of fishable streams, but you may want to book a beat or 2 to make sure you end up fishing the more productive or easier ones.

http://www.linecasters.co.za/contact.htm

Question:

Would I be better off in wading boots? Do I buy them sized to wear with a neoprene sock for the possibility of using waders in winter?

Thanks.

Question:

Would I be better off in wading boots? Do I buy them sized to wear with a neoprene sock for the possibility of using waders in winter?

Thanks.

I use neoprene socks with my wading boots and find it much more comfortable than hiking socks. As you say, they then fit my neoprene footed (?) waders also. I like the rubber soled boots, provided it is a special soft rubber that sticks in the wet (like the 5/10 rock climbing rubber). They can be bloody expensive though. I also have a pair of felt sole boots and they work well on the Cape freestone streams but are not good for long hikes. 

So the fishing in the Niger sucked. The water was lank dirty and cold. Caught plenty of little catfish on earthworms but that is it. Hope 2016 is a good fishing year.

• 2 months later...

I took the youngest D for a late season outing on the Smalblaar. I asked why on earth he brought that bright luminous green hat? The trout will see you coming from miles away with a beacon like that on your head. They are skittish enough as it is this time of year. He laughed and said it is his lucky hat. What could I do? Of course you know what happened........he caught 4 nice trout! Now there is no way I'll ever convince him to wear another, somewhat duller, hat!

post-17716-0-33728400-1459778833_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-14303000-1459778846_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-68556300-1459778859_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Seems I'm the only nutter stuffing up his knees fishing while he could stuff up his knees riding a single speed! "Me my self I" on the upper Elandspad on Sunday. The view from behind a bent 2 weight rod is a fine view. 

post-17716-0-10619500-1460957528_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I don't even know if this is a flyfishing story, but seeing as both John Costello and Fred Steynberg are legends in the SA fly fishing community, thought I'd post it here.

post-2975-0-58964100-1472809024_thumb.jpg

What an awesome fish it must have been, as John says, was a fish of two lifetimes.

Time to get some Yellows. Water is finally warm enough. Pic from late summer this year.

I am busy servicing the Landy and the kayaks, cleaning the camping gear and tying some yellow flies for a Richtersveld trip in a few weeks time! Can't wait! 

• 1 month later...

I'm back home dog tired after a week camping, paddling and fishing the lower Orange between De Hoop, Poitjiespram and Sendelingsdrift. This time the youngest D took the biggest fish! Damn, teenagers are hard to keep up with! It's a magical place, even after many a visit. I'll let the pictures do the talking!

post-17716-0-71516200-1476120650_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-73689100-1476120664_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-67424400-1476120688_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-89022100-1476120752_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-33629600-1476120769_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-99635600-1476120783_thumb.jpg