Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

Hey guys, I'm new to fishing in general, don't think I've ever held a fishing rod never mind been fly fishing.

But, one of my close friends has gotten into fishing now and has invited me along. As part of chats we want to plan a trip to catch trout. Neither of us know how to fly fish though.

Are there any decent trainers around the centurion/pta area that offer day classes to get you going?

My old man has all the gear he received as a gift in UK, but has also never had the time to use it. So I have everything needed, but just need someone to show me the ropes.

Thanks

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if Lanseria is far for you but this would be a good start, 

https://www.sundowner.co.za/offers/beginners-fly-fishing-lesson/

Hey guys, I'm new to fishing in general, don't think I've ever held a fishing rod never mind been fly fishing.

But, one of my close friends has gotten into fishing now and has invited me along. As part of chats we want to plan a trip to catch trout. Neither of us know how to fly fish though.

Are there any decent trainers around the centurion/pta area that offer day classes to get you going?

My old man has all the gear he received as a gift in UK, but has also never had the time to use it. So I have everything needed, but just need someone to show me the ropes.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Some welcome early rain increased the flow and made our Cape mountain streams lekker chilly - just the way the rainbow trout prefer it as well. However, sometimes the weather can be too perfect for good fishing. With strong sunlight, crystal water, no clouds and no a breeze, pools  like glass, the trout are super skittish and they see you coming a from mile away. It makes for a beautiful photogenic day out, and a couple of small (dumb and hungry) trout, but no big ones.

post-17716-0-70506700-1617451092_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Zebra will recognize the flybox that got an outing after a long absence from the streams. I cleaned it up, but still have to put new foam in the "nymph side". 

post-17716-0-90021200-1617451411_thumb.jpg

I even used one of the old flies from the box, an oversized parachute Adams that was tied with a very wide hackle, almost like a modern para-RAB. I thought it might scare the fish, but one little rainbow grabbed it. Unfortunately I lost it before I could take a picture of the fish.

post-17716-0-93300300-1617451609_thumb.jpg

When I see stuff like this, I don't want to be anywhere else on earth. Whiskey coloured water dancing gently down the mountain, singing its beautiful song and reflecting the blue African mountains and even bluer sky. I'm not a poet, but hell, I felt like I ought to try write a poem!

post-17716-0-64742200-1617451684_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

A bit off topic from flyfishing. 

I do fly, bass and also "some papgooi"

I signed up for a "Monster carp safari" weekend, where they teach you the finer points of carp specimen fishing. Anyone into specimen angling?

Edited by RABUBI

29 minutes ago, RABUBI said:

A bit off topic from flyfishing. 

I do fly, bass and also "some papgooi"

I signed up for a "Monster carp safari" weekend, where they teach you the finer points of carp specimen fishing. Anyone into specimen angling?

Where you doing this carp safari? I would like to do a bass one at some point in time

Yoh guys those who are near the South Coast.. I suggest you get a line in.. Sardines are full up and the guys are catching a lot of game fish. 

963786872e2b074a8ccc5bf846dc27a9.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Yup, sadly the Cape streams are closed at the moment and will only open in September.........and then be too high and cold to fish until October, so, here are a couple of pictures from last season. (I also thought this thread was culled in the big cleanup). Both are from the Holsloot river in the Stetteyns Kloof near Rawsonville. I kind of re-discovered it after fishing elsewhere for a few years and was pleasantly reminded of what a fantastic place it is and how pretty its rainbows are!

Mods, just so you know, this is all cycling related........see, I'm wearing my Cycle Tour ICE ID whenever I fish alone, so, if I do come short, those who find me will know where to drop me off for recycling! 

Visvang Holsloot 6-11-2021 (2).JPG

Visvang Holsloot 6-11-2021 (3).JPG

• 7 months later...

Sometimes, just once in a very blue decade, brown trout becomes easy. Usually skittish as all hell compared to rainbows, especially in wild, small, high mountain streams. They are just sooooo pretty and there are so few places in SA where there are real wild selfsustaining populations. These were a bit darker than usual because they come out of a dark whiskey coloured stream. They were not yet in their spawning clours which bring out some red spots. My wife says it was because it was my birthday and she arranged for the brownies to oblige........love my wife, even though I think that is a very tall fishy story. (Cederberg)

2023-03-11 072.jpg

2023-03-11 082.jpg

2023-03-12 009 (2).jpg

Edited by DJR