Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

Howzit guys.

I have a small budget of R1200 to buy myself and my wife kit. I have a old rod but my reel and fly line is pretty stuffed. I stay in JHB north. Where do I go and what do I buy? I saw Mias in Randburg have some combo's for R400.

Shot ouens!

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Howzit guys.

I have a small budget of R1200 to buy myself and my wife kit. I have a old rod but my reel and fly line is pretty stuffed. I stay in JHB north. Where do I go and what do I buy? I saw Mias in Randburg have some combo's for R400.

Shot ouens!

What you want to fish for

Troot

Bass

SM Yellofish

LM Yellowfish

Carp

Barbel

So gepraat van Fly Fishing, het enige iemand al daai Flying Fish bier gedrink. Oor die naweek ingegee en gaan koop. Twee geure :orange and lemon. baie soos 'n shandy...

Meer nee, ek kan gaan hengel, maar visvang los ek vir die manne wat weet

Troot

Bass

SM Yellofish

LM Yellowfish

Carp

Barbel

Troot. Ek het bass rods en stuff. Ons vang ook net dalk een of twee keer ñ jaar ñ trout so dit hoef nie top class te wees nie.

Piet

I take it you just want a versatile setup that can do most things, although not perfect for any one thing

Get a 5wt, 9ft rod, weight forward floating line, some 3 x tipppet and a spool of green mono for tying leaders.

Troot. Ek het bass rods en stuff. Ons vang ook net dalk een of twee keer ñ jaar ñ trout so dit hoef nie top class te wees nie.

Sien my previous post met daai setup kan jy troot en geles vang.

Also get the following flies for troot stockies...three of each

Egg patern

Red eye damsel

Gold ribbed hares ear

Peasant tail nymphs

DDD's

Adams

Klinkhammer

Pappa Roach

White death

when you feel you want to go tackle some SM yellows on the vaal let me know and we can organize something. Its a tricky technique and very different to your standard troot dam...you hardly cast for yellows....you nymph

Just don't get peeved if it turns out your wife is a better fly fisherman than you - I hear women generally make better fly fishers :)

Piet

I take it you just want a versatile setup that can do most things, although not perfect for any one thing

Get a 5wt, 9ft rod, weight forward floating line, some 3 x tipppet and a spool of green mono for tying leaders.

Cool man! Would I be able to get everything for teo people on my budget tho?

Troot

Bass

SM Yellofish

LM Yellowfish

Carp

Barbel

Barbel on a fly rod must be fun as ....

Edited by YUMEYA

Just don't get peeved if it turns out your wife is a better fly fisherman than you - I hear women generally make better fly fishers :)

Hahahaha! When she fishes she does catch more than me. I flippen hate it. If we lived in the woods I'd have to do the house work....

Hahahaha! When she fishes she does catch more than me. I flippen hate it. If we lived in the woods I'd have to do the house work....

:-) i tagged along with my sister to a fly fishing course at some trout farm a few years ago. There were about 15 guys and 3 of us girls - the girls all noobs and some of the guys were "seasoned" anglers. That whole day - 3 fish were caught, 2 of them by me, the other by the other woman. The guys were NOT impressed. Hahaaa.

:-) i tagged along with my sister to a fly fishing course at some trout farm a few years ago. There were about 15 guys and 3 of us girls - the girls all noobs and some of the guys were "seasoned" anglers. That whole day - 3 fish were caught, 2 of them by me, the other by the other woman. The guys were NOT impressed. Hahaaa.

4x4 goose are the best..I salute your clan...you fish, we drink, happy relationship I say :clap:

http://www.flyloops.net/latest.php

You can have a look on there, people sell stuff there too. You can check under trade, there is a map with shops on, so you can choose the place closest to you.

I know there were some xplorer had a combo, rod reel, line for something like R600 each. There was also a sensation symnphony combo at a similar price.

Nice beginner sets within your price range. You can buy 2 combos for you and the lady

http://www.xplorerfl...ing.co.za/rods/

http://www.fanaticfi...hony-combo.html

Edited by Gandalf