Mud Stains - Any Old Wives' Tales

flymango

• 7 years later...

Revival. 

Any more tips. Got caught in the rain at Red Barn yesterday and that lovely red mud trapped between the seat of the pants and the saddle really did a number on a pair of virtually new grey shorts. 

So far it's been two washes at 30deg and soaked with degreaser/sunlight liquid to try and dissolve the stain. 

Yet to try the pressure washer, green soap, powasol (only arrives on thursday) 

I guess at the end if the stain doesn't come out I will need to resort to fabric dye. 

Revival. 

Any more tips. Got caught in the rain at Red Barn yesterday and that lovely red mud trapped between the seat of the pants and the saddle really did a number on a pair of virtually new grey shorts. 

So far it's been two washes at 30deg and soaked with degreaser/sunlight liquid to try and dissolve the stain. 

I guess at the end if the stain doesn't come out I will need to resort to fabric dye. 

in the shower, with white lux body soap (the bar, not the liquid stuff) and a loofa 

rub the soap bar onto the dirty spot without using water i.e. dry rub. once its caked on properly, wet it slightly and take the wet and lathered up loofa and give it a good scrubbing, let it "soak" for while . Then simply chuck into the washing machine without rinsing off the lux.

Revival. 

fabric dye doesn't work - it might be less noticeable but there will still be a contrast

Must be really nice shorts that this would bother you - just going to get dirty again

I'd suggest a surf in salt water but

A - you live in Gangsters Paradise

B - Beki says no to surfing but yes to malls

fabric dye doesn't work - it might be less noticeable but there will still be a contrast

Must be really nice shorts that this would bother you - just going to get dirty again

I'd suggest a surf in salt water but

A - you live in Gangsters Paradise

B - Beki says no to surfing but yes to malls

Thanks Pudding. 

My own fault for buying expensive shorts and riding in lighter colours in threatening weather. I don't mind dirty but stains on the ass just look gross haha.

I do like to take care of my gear as I do my bike. Maybe I'll mix up an Epson salts bath and soak in them. I have a small surfboard toy around here somewhere.

I swear by this product http://www.ecologic.co.za/

I use it on my bike, kitchen, bathroom.

so far it's done wonders for getting stains out my riding gear.

The guy who makes it, Pierre  is a fellow cyclist, so also supporting our own.  

I've seen this floating around on Facebook. Trying to order online but the button seems to be a little broken. 

Sending Pierre an email now.

Good news. Stains are out. 

Soaked the shorts in a mix of sunlight liquid, washing detergent, and hot water. 

Then scrubbed in a paste made from Vanish powder with a stiff brush and let it sit for the required 5 minutes. Into the washing machine and out the other side 100% clean. 

Happy. 

I've seen this floating around on Facebook. Trying to order online but the button seems to be a little broken. 

Sending Pierre an email now.

If you need his phone number send me a PM.