Jailbreak 2013

Snytjie

The gods are not with me on this one.

Had to travel a lot for work the past three weeks which hampered training, got a nice airway infection for a week, and last week a wound on my hand became infected... looks like my taper for Jailbreak will consist of 7 days off with maybe a little activity on Tuesday and Wednesday. At least I was well prepared before all these other little challenges arrived.

I see the weather forecast looks promising. At this stage its cloudy and only 25 degrees max.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told at registration yesterday that the race briefing will be uploaded to the website and that there is a info brochure in the container we got. I decided not to stay for the briefing @14:00. However, there is nothing on the website and the brochure is not too extensive.

It says that you must get your container as you exit the water, and then take it with you to the changing tent/transition. Does this mean that you have to put your running shoes in the container beforehand (as opposed to next to your bike)? And, would that mean that you have to shove your wetsuit into it too after the swim?

I was told at registration yesterday that the race briefing will be uploaded to the website and that there is a info brochure in the container we got. I decided not to stay for the briefing @14:00. However, there is nothing on the website and the brochure is not too extensive.

It says that you must get your container as you exit the water, and then take it with you to the changing tent/transition. Does this mean that you have to put your running shoes in the container beforehand (as opposed to next to your bike)? And, would that mean that you have to shove your wetsuit into it too after the swim?

Ja, it sounds like they want an uncluttered transition area. Yes, the running shoes and cycling shoes (if they are not already on your bike) should go into the bucket until you need them. The wetsuit might fit in there after the swim, although last year, I remember there being wetsuits all over the place.

There was a booklet in the bucket explaining the procedure

Looks like not much wind at 11km/h with gusts of 16km/h?

I hope that you are correct. At the moment, Windguru says 16km/h with 19km/h gusts for Brandvlei.

I hope that you are correct. At the moment, Windguru says 16km/h with 19km/h gusts for Brandvlei.

I would take that any day of the week

There was a booklet in the bucket explaining the procedure

As far as I can see the booklet doesn't explain precisely what you should shove into the bucket. My running shoes + wetsuit will not fit.

Edited by Snytjie

My first triathlon done. Wasn't too hard at all. But I did do the minimum. I was ultracrap in the swim, despite having borrowed a 2xu wetsuit from Dan Hugo. Then I dominated on the bike. Timetrial position on flat roads suits me very well. Maintained on the run for a 63rd place which I'm happy with.

well done Ray

what were the conditions like out there

It was very windy and hot. Organisers banned disk wheels which put a spanner in the works for many riders (funnily enough they allowed 808s on the front wheel?!?).

Swim was choppy, bike was windy, run was HOT - and it was awesome!

Mens short race won by Matt Trautmann

Mens Long race by Dean Hopf

Ladies short by Claire Horner

Ladies Long by Tracy Markham (and 6th overall)

Great race, organisers will get some stick due to the disks, but great event

Edited by gadget

It wasn't that windy. I heard stories of previous years being proper windy so I thought it was fine. Nice and warm:-)

The swim was quite choppy.

Like all good Hubbers should I was way better on the bike than anything else.