Removing suspension bolt

martinh

Hi Guys. How do I remove the bolt in the picture. I have taken out the screw that keeps the two bolts together, but cant seem to push the bolts out. I used a thin piece of wood, but if I knock it in it just comes out the other end without pushing the bolt through.

I would like to clean in between the bolts and the link.

i dont know that particular setup or bike but would suspect the shock is putting pressure on the bolt, try removing the shock first to lessen the pressure and the use a bolt or something similar in size to the one you are trying to remove to push it out, you may need to find a rubber mallet and gently tap to get it out. just dont use too much force as this will cause other issues

Its a BMC Fourstroke 29.

I don't know if there are any circlips behind the bolts. I can't see any.

based on the 4stroke shock bolt for 2008 - 2009 models, i think you just need some percussive persuasion to get it out..

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/864/e85/59a/91895/product_page/bmc-fourstroke-rear-shock-bolt-set.jpg

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/864/e85/59a/91896/product_page/bmc-fourstroke-rear-shock-bolt-set.jpg

i doubt the bolt design will have changed much. tap from the side where the nut can be removed.

Edited by Capricorn

Cool thanks Capricorn.

Unrelated: where can I get Loctite Blue. I keep taking out bolts and never replacing them properly with Loctite.

Cool thanks Capricorn.

Unrelated: where can I get Loctite Blue. I keep taking out bolts and never replacing them properly with Loctite.

Go to Midas and ask for it - they sell it in small quantities - not locktite brand, but a LOT cheaper - and the big Loctite bottles go off after a while.

Cool thanks Capricorn.

try local auto parts store. they normally stock loctite blue.

I would remove the one bolt and size it up. Then insert a longer, same size (M6 probably) bolt into the bar. This way you can knock it out without damaging the bolt which you are going to ultimately use again...

Once you get a bit of corrosion around the bolt they can be pretty difficult to get out. Helps to have a drift of the right size and extra hands to hold the frame. The worst I've seen came out with a terrible scream and a bit of persuasion from a 16 tonne hydraulic press. No damage to the carbon frame but the mechanic was sweating somewhat.