XT wheels

Stumpmeister

I see CWC is selling XT 785 wheels for 3599 are these any good and is it worth swopping my Crossrides for them. I know they are centre lock, what is the rider weight limit on the XTs?

Edited by BB Giant

I see CWC is selling XT 785 wheels for 3599 are these any good and is it worth swopping my Crossrides for them. I know they are centre lock, what is the rider weight limit on the XTs?

Very good wheels. Strong also and handled my 100kg ass quite well on the single speed.

I wouldn't swop the Crossrides though. The XTs require more maintenance. Not sure about actual weight difference between the sets.

XT = Cup and cone bearings, meaning maintenance, and not fit and forget.Plus side they are full UST.

Crossride = Bulletproof

Ive had the xt's on and Im a clumsy rider hitting rocks etc and weighing 95 .You cant break them .

Personally would take XTs over the crossrides.

Nothing wrong with cup and cone bearings

Would you sell the crossrides to buy XT's though? Personally I'd rather keep the crossrides and aim higher on the wheel spectrum - like a flow / arch & hope combo... Something that will last and is adaptable to different standards.

Thoughts?

Not sure on the XT785 but my concerns with my XT775 wheelset are that the spokes can only be ordered from Shimano, there are apparently 3 different spoke lengths (inside, outside and rear wheel driveside) and you need 2 special spoke spanners to install/tension! Bit of a headache!

Would you sell the crossrides to buy XT's though? Personally I'd rather keep the crossrides and aim higher on the wheel spectrum - like a flow / arch & hope combo... Something that will last and is adaptable to different standards.

Thoughts?

Possibly, depends.

I've heard of people having issues with Mavic freehubs, also spokes like this scare me

http://static.bike-components.de/images/product_images/popup_images/17241_26_mavic_crossride_ub_.jpg

But then again the XTs have a similar type.

Give me J-Bend spokes any day.

Possibly, depends.

I've heard of people having issues with Mavic freehubs, also spokes like this scare me

http://static.bike-components.de/images/product_images/popup_images/17241_26_mavic_crossride_ub_.jpg

But then again the XTs have a similar type.

Give me J-Bend spokes any day.

Yeah, that hub system is horrible!

But I wouldn't swap them out for XT's - too similar ito the level they're at, imo. I'd much rather go for a better, custom wheelset that doesn't have all those problems...