Schwalbe Hans Dampf

dillon

You need to think harder, 4 tires cost $105 including shipping. :thumbup:

Forgot the Vat though so it is about R316 a tire, still half price

i'm sorry, i was thinking reasonably, aka 26er.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While on the subject. :whistling:

Any suggestions for a better suited tyre for Cape Town trail conditions. I'm currently running a 2.35 Nobby Nic up front and a Conti Race King 2.1 at the back. With the trails down here I feel the back wanting to wash out a lot, so it's more a new back tyre then front.

I usually ride the Durbanville Trails and Tokai on occasion. I'm looking for something fairly fast rolling but also something that grips a bit better.

Should I be playing with my tyre pressures a bit more?

Thanks for the help.

The NN is a good compromise between XC and something burlier. tracks very well and surprisingly hard wearing. I'd say you wont go wrong based solely on my experiences with NNs (pacestar). I had it on the front with an HD at the back.

You will have to play with the pressure as the pressure is the compromise you make between rolling resistance and grip for any given tread pattern, riding style, suspension setup and type of terrain. Seems like many variables, but just focus on tyre pressure relative to your riding style for typical riding terrain. It will be a fixed zone.

All you then do for other terrain is either increase or decrease the tyre pressure slightly.

and contrary to Mega's backhanded derp, it doesn't take an expert to figure out these simple things. Just a brain. any brain. and a little time and willingness to play around and figure stuff out.

Edited by Capricorn

The NN is a good compromise between XC and something burlier. tracks very well and surprisingly hard wearing. I'd say you wont go wrong based solely on my experiences with NNs. I had it on the front with HDs at the back.

This is for a 26' wheel I forgot to add, are they readily available in SA or CT as least? What tyre width would you suggest as well?

Any other suggestions I can try out?

Edited by Caerus

This is for a 26' wheel I forgot to add, are they readily available in SA or CT as least? What tyre width would you suggest as well?

2.35 NN is a good tire. Also the Mountain King 2 or a Maxxis Ardent.

But I'd stick with the NN and play around with the pressures before knocking a few ZARs out the window.

2.35 NN is a good tire. Also the Mountain King 2 or a Maxxis Ardent.

But I'd stick with the NN and play around with the pressures before knocking a few ZARs out the window.

Are these suggestions for a rear tyre? I like the Nobby Nic up front, I run the same combo on both my bikes, but am only looking at a better suited rear tyre.

Also without getting lynched, what pressures do you run front & back for CT trail conditions?

what Mayhem said: 2.35. Not sure if you can get the narrower variety easily here in ZA.

Eish....the HD is a great tyre but just so damn heavy on the climbs.

Running 26" NN on my ht and Conti Mountain King on the DS.

The MK roll much easier than the NB but the NB grips better on the rocks on roots.

Think i'm going to try the NB on the front and MK on he rear.

Edited by gummibear

Are these suggestions for a rear tyre? I like the Nobby Nic up front, I run the same combo on both my bikes, but am only looking at a better suited rear tyre.

Also without getting lynched, what pressures do you run front & back for CT trail conditions?

NN would be great on the back as well. If you're worried about it being too aggressive, then the Rocket Ron is a good alternative - faster but almost as grippy.

Me, I'm a porker. So I run 30psi rear and 25 front. Shortly going to drop to 25/20 to see what it's like. I recently re-inflated my tires and found that they were in the region of 15-20 psi - which is so little pressure for me. But I need to play around more. I feel the washing out (vagueness) is directly related to pumping the tire up to 28 psi before the ride, where it was 20 psi the ride before.

NN would be great on the back as well. If you're worried about it being too aggressive, then the Rocket Ron is a good alternative - faster but almost as grippy.

Me, I'm a porker. So I run 30psi rear and 25 front. Shortly going to drop to 25/20 to see what it's like. I recently re-inflated my tires and found that they were in the region of 15-20 psi - which is so little pressure for me. But I need to play around more. I feel the washing out (vagueness) is directly related to pumping the tire up to 28 psi before the ride, where it was 20 psi the ride before.

I'm 81kg on a bad day, normally about 79kg, what would you recommend?

Then to go back to the tyres and conclude. So I should look at either a NN, RR, Ardent or mountain king at the back, and to run with a 2.35.

Which of the above rolls faster and I'm also keen to not have a fat donkey of a tyre that I have to push around as well.

The NN has better grip than the RR, but more rolling resistance accordingly. Seems you'd be better off with RR if you looking to compromise on grip a bit. Again, nothing some air pressure and suspension cannot offset.

Been running the HD as a more focused all mountain, enduro tyre on my Anthem 29er, up front. On the rocky and technical sections on Table mountain it has insane levels of grip. Received a very short notice entry to W2W, so did some xc riding on this tyre. Rolls remarkably well, no issues with folding etc. Placed top 5, so don't think it hindered me much more than my usual RR tre up front. Also, where you can see multiple Stans spots on my RR always, I am yet to notice one after all this riding.

Been running the HD as a more focused all mountain, enduro tyre on my Anthem 29er, up front. On the rocky and technical sections on Table mountain it has insane levels of grip. Received a very short notice entry to W2W, so did some xc riding on this tyre. Rolls remarkably well, no issues with folding etc. Placed top 5, so don't think it hindered me much more than my usual RR tre up front. Also, where you can see multiple Stans spots on my RR always, I am yet to notice one after all this riding.

shot, I just bought 4 for my 2 builds

Also, where you can see multiple Stans spots on my RR always, I am yet to notice one after all this riding.

RR being rocket ron or racing ralph?