70.3 bike selection

whit

Hi Guys

Is there much/ any advantage of having a Tri Bike for 70.3 over a road bike with aero bars ?

Thanks

Hi Guys

Is there much/ any advantage of having a Tri Bike for 70.3 over a road bike with aero bars ?

Thanks

If you going with the goal of a big result then the assumption would be you would be doing it on very good form and on this assumption a tri bike will make you faster.

Not necessary faster on a tri bike but more efficient in terms of effort and then opening the hip flexors for the run. So u might bike the same time but how much effort did it take?

Seem to recall Jodie Swallow for one prefers a road bike with clip ons for EL....

Mari Rabie won it on a road bike in 2010.

If you are targeting more than 3hrs for the cycle, use your road bike.

R20k may make you 3 minutes faster.

Taking one bottle of water rather than three and a pantry of food will also make you faster.

Thaks Guys , I am aiming for a sub 3 cycle, my biggest concern is the extra effort on the road bike and the effect this could have on my run.

Road bike will be easier up the three or four steep bits. The rest of the time get low and aero.

Remember that one of the biggest advantages of a TT bike is what it give you on the RUN. I agree with the top comments that you will probably get more minutes for rands by practising transitions, but if you are a 90 minute half marathoner a TT bike will help rest the right muscles for a optimal bike/run split.

If you go maximal bike split, you will be walking (and probably digging your hands into your hip-flexors because they hurt from going hard on the road bike).

Edited by gadget

I have a TT frame is you want to buy it and transfer your components - nice cheap option for you :whistling:

Seem to recall Jodie Swallow for one prefers a road bike with clip ons for EL....

EL and PE

http://www.teamtbb.com/media/k2/items/cache/e529a8dc22bd84a37f6f8ae6b8ce40d3_2_XL.jpg

Jodie rides a P3 which is a TT bike...anyway its not about that, its about the position you can achieve on either bike and also how long you can stay down in the TT bars.

Too many guys have tricked TT bikes but are sitting up the whole time so may as well be on road bike

TT bike is always faster on almost every course, James won Alp D huez on a TT Bike....

But got to have good position that you can stay in for most of the bike ride...I have raced a TT bike and disc there for my fastest bike on that course, which also puts the disc argument to bed, it its light its faster...

You just got to spend a lot of time riding the bike you going to race

Jodie rides a P3 which is a TT bike...anyway its not about that, its about the position you can achieve on either bike and also how long you can stay down in the TT bars.

Too many guys have tricked TT bikes but are sitting up the whole time so may as well be on road bike

TT bike is always faster on almost every course, James won Alp D huez on a TT Bike....

But got to have good position that you can stay in for most of the bike ride...I have raced a TT bike and disc there for my fastest bike on that course, which also puts the disc argument to bed, it its light its faster...

You just got to spend a lot of time riding the bike you going to race

Absolutely!