Gatorskins vs Bontrager vs ?

Nickzta

Hi,

I am about to be making yet another cycling comeback.

When I left off (2yrs back) I had been having some problems with my tyres. Basically, if I rode over a small stone at 25km/hr or faster - I'd get a leak.

I looked at Gatorskins at the 94.7 expo and I'm not sure I can afford 2 at R480 each. The salesman said that Bontrager had a strong tyre at R250 each. Are they any good?

Any other suggestions?

is there perhaps a link to a similar topic?

thanks for the help

Hi,

I am about to be making yet another cycling comeback.

When I left off (2yrs back) I had been having some problems with my tyres. Basically, if I rode over a small stone at 25km/hr or faster - I'd get a leak.

I looked at Gatorskins at the 94.7 expo and I'm not sure I can afford 2 at R480 each. The salesman said that Bontrager had a strong tyre at R250 each. Are they any good?

Any other suggestions?

is there perhaps a link to a similar topic?

thanks for the help

I only use gators on my bike. Go to Solomons at Expo i got 2 at far less than R480 a tyre.

Pump to max recommended and you should be safe.

@Nick; my first set of tyres on my SS roadbike was gator's. They were brilliant!! Pretty light with more than enough grip, this was actually the reason I didn't go for them again (they are a bit boring to use for commuting, can't skid them without crying about the price, I literally pulled off pieces of rubber at a time). My 2nd and 3rd set is Maxxis Detonator's. They hold up pretty good to all the punishment I dish out with my SS commuting, that involves jumping off curbs, popping wheelies and riding everywhere and over everything

I'd say save up or shop around abit and plonk for gators. I personally only use GP4000s but that's just me.

GP4000's are food for special events and lighter than Gator's but you won't get the mileage out of them. They are basically race tyres.

It depends I would say. There are many different kinds of Bontrager tyres. I used both Gatorskin and Bontrager and prefer the Bontrager - they had a better feel and last, but they were more expensive than the number quoted.

Thank you guys!

Really appreciate the input! Gators it will be. I missed the R350 price at the expo. I know cos I had a good chat with the guy and he wouldn't drop. I can only that think they started running low on stock and put the price back up to R480. went to 2 LBS's yesterday and neither had stock.

Will check in with Solomons next week and ask nicely for a good price. Will also see if the guys at Westdene have a 15% off deal again.

Thanks, Thanks!

Thank you guys!

Really appreciate the input! Gators it will be. I missed the R350 price at the expo. I know cos I had a good chat with the guy and he wouldn't drop. I can only that think they started running low on stock and put the price back up to R480. went to 2 LBS's yesterday and neither had stock.

Will check in with Solomons next week and ask nicely for a good price. Will also see if the guys at Westdene have a 15% off deal again.

Thanks, Thanks!

Try CWC, less than any of the LBS's even after factoring in the freight costs. Such a pity that our LBS's are not more competitively priced.