Best Road bike for a noob!!!

Neg

So... i did the 94.7 on my mountain Bike and right there i decided that i NEED a road bike for these events.... but i have never ridden a road bike (besides our tandem).

I'm 6'1- fat (115kg's) and not very fit.... (4 hour 94.7 on MTB)

What would be the best road bike for me to ride long rides with- i will never win any races and wont try- but just want to try ride as best i can.

i have a budget of about 10-12K :(

thanks chaps! much appreciated! :)

regards.

So... i did the 94.7 on my mountain Bike and right there i decided that i NEED a road bike for these events.... but i have never ridden a road bike (besides our tandem).

What would be the best road bike for me to ride long rides with- i will never win any races and wont try- but just want to try ride as best i can.

i have a budget of about 10-12K :(

thanks chaps! much appreciated! :)

regards.

One with STRONG wheels - quality 36 spoke wheels should do it - you might be advise to find a local bike shop that will be willing to swap out wheels to get you a strong set. Also worth checking to see what weight limits the bike has and the local backup support.

I am 65kg, and ride 36 spoke road wheels as training wheels for their longevity - but I have seen the results of a big lad clipping a small pothole and the wheel collapsing - lets just say it was not a pretty face first dive into the tar at 30+kph.

I'd go for the Giant TCR1, the Cannondale CAAD8 or the Merida Ride Lite 94. And V12man is correct - swap out the wheels as that is normally where the stock bikes save a lot of their cost.

You say you are 6'1 and fat. Good. No sensitivity issues if someone admits that they are fat.

Get any second hand bike that fits you and your budget. Put on some strong wheels, train hard and shed the lard.

Once your weight is under control, get a better set of wheels and you are sorted.

There is only 1 bike for a guy your weight.

Cannondale.

Try for a Caad 8, not the lightest, but nice and strong for your weight.

Agreed on the 36 holed wheels. Don't be spoken into anything with less spokes, it just wont last you.

You say you are 6'1 and fat. Good. No sensitivity issues if someone admits that they are fat.

Get any second hand bike that fits you and your budget. Put on some strong wheels, train hard and shed the lard.

Once your weight is under control, get a better set of wheels and you are sorted.

i have about 15kg of lard i can shed.... i've always been heavy, in matric i was no where near fat , 9% body fat and still weighed 102kgs!!! :( so even at my "best" i was over the 100kg's! just destined to be heavy i guess...

but i will check out for a 2nd hand- my only issue with that is that if something does brake i have no warranty... and no "advice before i buy" most private sellers will say it will hole me and the a face plant! and no comebacks. at least with a new bike i bet the back up of the manufacture.....??